PDA

View Full Version : rear disc conv

dan_cf40
28-02-08, 09:27 PM
does any one know whats involved in converting my beam to rear discs
ive got a spare beam so i want to have a go myself prettty handy with a spanner just need to know whats involved, what parts i need etc.

blue_peg_16v
28-02-08, 09:40 PM
the cheapest way is to get a full cav or astra rear beam take the hubs off and then grind the mounting plates off the donor axle, also grind the origional plates off the nova beam, the weld the plates off the donor beam to the nova beam, them you just need the short handbrake cable off a 86 1.6 cav as its about 3in shorter than the nova and just right for the discs, if you carnt be doing with grinding the plates off the donor you can buy the plates from chris astley motorsport for about ?20, but you will still have to grind the nova beam

dan_cf40
28-02-08, 11:07 PM
cheers mate looks like im gonna be giving chris astley a call in the morning

craig green
29-02-08, 12:57 PM
Make sure you get the hubs & stub axles from a disc equipped mk2 Astra or mk3 Cav with non IRS or ABS.

I've just done it on my Nova. Handbrake works a treat.

You will however need to sort a method of stoppng the rear brakes locking up as they are prone to locking up. Best method is too swith proportioning valves on the master cylinder to the ones from the non-ABS car's mastercylinder.