PDA

View Full Version : seam welding

scotte
04-08-02, 06:26 PM
i've been offered an astra gte 16v from a mate for ?150 i feel i can do the conversion but the only thing im worried about is the welding.i have a welder but havnt really welded anything like that b4 is it really that hard or should it be left to a pro????i have a 92 gsi. is it just acase of tacking out the putty in the weld and re welding it or should i put metal plates over the top????

dan16v
04-08-02, 06:39 PM
yes m8 tap out that seam sealer stuff then get a hand grinder with flapper disk to take back all paint n sealer left. this also stops impurities in your weld run.
get a few bits of similar thickness steel n have a bash keep the amps low as it will blow through easily other wise!
im qualified in mig but it took me abit 2get use to welding old metal, just make sure ur prep is real good ie clean bare metal should be fine.
remmember to wire brush of the end run and then seal asap as even air moisture will get to the bare metal left open 2 the elements :D

scotte
04-08-02, 06:53 PM
is it possible to weld if if i just take a few parts out of the engine bay and leave the lump in until i actually come to fit the valver????if not how long does it usually take to weld it up a day ??

locky
04-08-02, 08:49 PM
Alrite m8, i aint done a conversion or nething, but from a safety point of view id take it out, petrol is very flammable, 1 spark and thats it, prob would be easier with no lump in the way either!
Good luck!

carltoncrazy
04-08-02, 10:51 PM
yeh make ya life as easy as possible even if it takes longer,
you need the room to move about,and a nova engine bay sall enough as it is,
if he`s offering a whole car for 150 id just sort out the astra.unless its proper smashed 2 bits