PDA

View Full Version : fibreglass bonnets.....

adam c
27-02-08, 09:32 PM
im looking to possibly buy a fibreglass bonnet soon but i was just wondering if anybody has got one fitted?whats the fit like on them and the finish?also could i use the original hinges and bonnet lock or would i have to use bonnet pins etc?

many thanks adam:thumb:

just vaux trev
27-02-08, 09:41 PM
just thought i'd add im sure there are some on ebay now

hybridturbo
27-02-08, 10:08 PM
Think most people use

www.eurorallye.co.uk (http://www.eurorallye.co.uk)

adam c
28-02-08, 07:53 AM
yeah i have seen them for sale at eurorallye but i was just wondering what the finish is like on them once they are painted and if i could use my original hinges and lock?

Will F
28-02-08, 10:08 AM
yeah i have seen them for sale at eurorallye but i was just wondering what the finish is like on them once they are painted and if i could use my original hinges and lock?

Finish depends on who paints them tbh! They are never going to be as traight as a steel one, but not noticable...

I am in teh market for one too... they use the original hinges, but pins on teh front.

t45_ste
28-02-08, 03:24 PM
I have one from eurorallye. Havnt painted it yet but the quality is very good. May have mine for sale soon adam.

16v Nova Kev
28-02-08, 04:09 PM
i got bonnet and bootlid i just fitted them with bonnet pins the weight differance is amazing i will ba going for doors and front wings too lol

adam c
28-02-08, 07:31 PM
can you use the original lock or would i have to use bonnet pins?

16v Nova Kev
28-02-08, 07:38 PM
no think the bonnet pins are the safest way to go will it just be used on the road

adam c
28-02-08, 08:00 PM
it will be used on road/track.(i would rather it look standard i.e with no bonnet pins showing etc)

16v Nova Kev
28-02-08, 08:29 PM
i dont know how else you could do it m8

trackdaynova
28-02-08, 09:23 PM
ack, i'm sure Oli will have you're balls for asking where from again...

http://www.magnummotorsport.co.uk/nova.html

saloon-boy
28-02-08, 09:57 PM
sorry for hi-jacking the thread. does anyone know of a company that does fibre glass wings for a saloon?

t45_ste
28-02-08, 09:59 PM
You could use flush fitting aerocatches and colour code them adam :http://www.aerocatch.com/

dave.gsi
28-02-08, 10:12 PM
sorry for hi-jacking the thread. does anyone know of a company that does fibre glass wings for a saloon?

why would an old lady need fibreglass wings lol

adam c
28-02-08, 10:34 PM
You could use flush fitting aerocatches and colour code them adam :http://www.aerocatch.com/

ah good idea i may have to look into that:thumb:

saloon-boy
29-02-08, 12:21 AM
why would an old lady need fibreglass wings lol

same reason old ladies want fibre glass wings for hatchbacks lol

Jack
29-02-08, 08:18 AM
same reason chavs want fibre glass wings for hatchbacks lol
Better lol

No fibreglass wings about specifically for saloons (i.e. round arches), but hatch arches will fit. The front just bolts on as per a hatch, and the rear will need cutting out and grafting on but thats the same as required on a hatch.

loggyboy
29-02-08, 11:47 AM
I dont know of away you could use the standard latching/locking set up, the FG would not be strong enough to support the fixings.

I have a 2nd hand FG bonnet so not sure of its source, but it fitted well, allthough it was unpainted had been knocked about a bit it still looked ok.

The onnly annoyance i found was how it flapped around at high speed, when i refit il be adding a alloy strip to the front so it keeps its shape.

I forgot to shut my pins once and it flicked up, tearing it from the hinges over the top of the car, luckily i was only going 20!

Ryan5cyl
29-02-08, 01:02 PM
I have bonnet pins on my normal bonnet :tard: and I notice people always playing with them, when I finally purchase a grp bonnet and am unable to use the locking catch at the front, is there any other way of secure/locking it? I have the same wonder about sliders in perspex windows. Do they not have a lock or block on the inside to stop people reaching in an opening your lock?

Ryan5cyl
29-02-08, 01:10 PM
Just found the answer to my grp bonnet problem, locking aero catches!

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=11597

chimp007_uk
29-02-08, 01:16 PM
i fitted a fg 400 bonnet to my manta the other week, and obviously fitted bonnet pins. but didnt think about securing it... i just put a bit of hose on the pin and when i'm in an area wher ei'm worried about it i remove the hose and the pin sits higher and i stick a small padlock through...

aerolatches would have the been the better bet :) next time...

as for fit, mines no way straight! it sits level in the middelat the back but up and the rear corners. then at the front, its level at the sides and down in the middle... i'm not too fussed, its not a mint mint car or a shower. just a bit of fun :)

loggyboy
29-02-08, 01:27 PM
my dad used to just used 2 padlocks is the latches for his bonnet pins.

saloon-boy
01-03-08, 02:53 AM
Better lol

No fibreglass wings about specifically for saloons (i.e. round arches), but hatch arches will fit. The front just bolts on as per a hatch, and the rear will need cutting out and grafting on but thats the same as required on a hatch.

dont really want to put hatch arches on the loon. cheers anyway rj