PDA

View Full Version : Help, Revs holding once engine warm!!

steve.hicks
27-02-08, 01:47 PM
Hi all, I hope someone can help, as this prob is really, really annoying!!

It's actually a Cav, with a 1.8 single point Injection.
The problem is: Once the engine has warmed up, as you proceed to change gear, the Revs will 'hold' for a few seconds before dropping back down. This is really annoying as the car almost kangaroo's ....
I have checked for air leaks, and replaced the idle controll valve, but to no avail... Pls help.... Anyone.....

Welsh Dan
27-02-08, 04:35 PM
Does the accelerator cable move freely?

Steve
27-02-08, 04:40 PM
I had that before on my gte and it should be the icv, if not try cleaning out the throttle boddie as its probably crudded up.

steve.hicks
27-02-08, 06:33 PM
Hi, Yes the cable is free, and the engine has had a strip down all cleaned and re-built...

steve.hicks
27-02-08, 09:28 PM
BUMP....
Anyone???:confused:

meritlover
28-02-08, 06:28 PM
have you checked the throttle body/ butterfly for gunge?
also if it is temperature related try checking the coolant sensor etc.. my 1.4 MPI used to do that too. it did bring me much heart ache and tears. :(

steve.hicks
29-02-08, 08:53 PM
have you checked the throttle body/ butterfly for gunge?
also if it is temperature related try checking the coolant sensor etc.. my 1.4 MPI used to do that too. it did bring me much heart ache and tears. :(
Hi there, there no gunge it butterfly, all moves freely inc. the cable..
Where would the coolant sensor be located?:confused:

Edwin
02-03-08, 11:01 PM
I had the same problem yesterday with my car! The problem is an faulty EGR valve. i ripped it out and closed te gap with a pice of sheedmetal. Enige runs even beter then befor.

steve.hicks
03-03-08, 08:43 AM
I had the same problem yesterday with my car! The problem is an faulty EGR valve. i ripped it out and closed te gap with a pice of sheedmetal. Enige runs even beter then befor.

How did you close off the the pipe to the carb body? or is it left connected?

Edwin
03-03-08, 07:16 PM
I have an 1600 8V from a gsi. On my engine the EGR valve is placed between cil 2 and 3 on the intake manifold. correct me if i am wrong, but on your engine it should be at aprox the same place.

chimp007_uk
03-03-08, 07:18 PM
i'd say take the egr off, its not needed... and it'll help stop the ports coking up.

Edwin
03-03-08, 07:27 PM
found a picture of the EGR on my type of engine.
http://www.corsa-novatuning.nl/images/1600tuning/koppakking/DSC01256.JPG

steve.hicks
05-03-08, 12:32 AM
As a Temp try, I have clamped MoleGrips onto the pipe from the EGR to the inlet manifold, but this has made no difference to the running- well non that I have noticed :cry:

meritlover
05-03-08, 09:45 AM
the fault may be with the valve and or diaphragm so blocking the vacuum pipe may not give you a definitive test.

Edwin
06-03-08, 10:25 PM
mine was still working on the vacuum, but was leaking internal! so it was putting to mutch exhaust gass into the intake manifold. I took it out, re-adjusted the CO and engine runs perfect