PDA

View Full Version : Removing underseal

Andy_L
26-02-08, 10:30 PM
I am umming and ahhing about this. I've done a wee bit of reading about how much of a swine it is to remove, but if a jobs worth doing its worth doing it right, right?

Has anybody ever used the dry ice method???

My current thinking if I do it is a hot air gun, scraper and a drill with wire brush attachment.

lukeo_1
26-02-08, 10:34 PM
u mean the sounddeadener in the car? if u do its easy if you know how! i did it to my grasser a few weeks ago, i used a security light that i use as a work lamp, i used the light for about ten minutes then it was really hot, i then held it close to the sound deadener for about 15 seconds and it softened it and melted the glue so it just peeled off

ian.sutton
26-02-08, 10:41 PM
I removed underseal the same way youve suggested Andy.

Takes quite a bit of time.

I wonder if anyone knows of a chemical or something simular that removes it easier.

novacabrio
26-02-08, 10:44 PM
paint striper!! its a bitch but works, Nitromorse (spelling?) im about to start this week on mine

ade
26-02-08, 11:20 PM
I wouldnt use noitromorse on the underside of the car - it'll drip and you dont wanna get that stuff on you. When I did my front arches I used a heat gun to start with (make sure you wear a paint spraying mask) - and then for the remainder I used a wire brush wheel attachment. Its messy work but comes off pretty quickly.

If you can jack the car up so it's angled it might be easier. Even better get it on its side (chassis tilter)

ben doodar
27-02-08, 12:46 PM
yh heat guns about the best, its worth doing mate ive been doing mine for the last few weeks. at least you will know it right when u finish it, i know it seems like hard work and hassle now but do it dude. u wouldnt believe the sh!t lurking about under that under seal!!!

16v Nova Kev
27-02-08, 12:54 PM
i might be daft but why would you want it off

Andy_L
27-02-08, 01:04 PM
Simply to find out what lies beneath, as just because it looks ok doesn't mean it isn't.

I'd then re-do it safe in the knowledge all was well in what lies beneath.....