PDA

View Full Version : using an aftermarket fuel pump in original cradle?

adam c
25-02-08, 09:58 PM
my fuel pump has packed in but i have a facet pump i can use.the thing is i would prefer it in the original position.has anybody using a facet or another aftermarket pump put theres there and if so how did you mount it?pics would also be highly appreciated:D

many thanks adam

Stuart
25-02-08, 10:10 PM
is the engine injection? and is the facet pump injection rated?

adam c
25-02-08, 10:20 PM
oh i didnt know there was a difference:( .the car is injection but the pump will be for a carb engine:mad:

adam c
26-02-08, 12:38 AM
so i carnt use the pump then?

andy_srt40
26-02-08, 07:15 AM
no mate, the only thing facets are good for on injecton motors is filling the sqwirl pot, if you have one?

adam c
26-02-08, 07:22 AM
oh okay.another reason to fit the new engine then:D .when running carbs is it okay to fit it in the cradle?

Stuart
26-02-08, 08:57 AM
yes you can fit it in the same location.

I'd stick with MPI and get management to have more fun than carbs, personally..

andy_srt40
26-02-08, 09:43 AM
i can agree with stuart on this one from exerience, i have a e16se on 40's, it drives crap, the fuel consumption is poor and it doesn;t go anywhere near aswell as the standard inlet would with aftermarket management and a good cam and exhaust

Stuart
26-02-08, 10:35 AM
I'm not slating carbs by the way.... Its just that 99% of t40 owners dont bother to get a decent set of carbs and a decent setup to get the results that are possible...

RSTChris
26-02-08, 10:45 AM
If you get stuck ive got a couple of GSI pumps and cradles

meritlover
26-02-08, 10:51 AM
I'm not slating carbs by the way.... Its just that 99% of t40 owners dont bother to get a decent set of carbs and a decent setup to get the results that are possible...

Mr Stuart. myself and yourself have reached an agreement. it is a shame that this is all so very often the case. the dellorto and webber are very complex/clever devices and are capeable of providing a very good stable air fuel mixture and provide very good atomisation...which gives good econnomy and performances. however careful consideration must be reached to decide on choke sizes. emulsion and fuel jets or the effect of the carburettor is the same as pouring in a random amount of petrol down each throttle body. a lot of the carbs i have seen have been installated by a blind man with eyes that cannot see. the carbs are in poor repair, have worn linkages/bushes/ and some dont even have matching chokes!!!! (oh no!!) this is why the carbs have a bad name/image. however, if you are serious and passionate about engines then you would still be advised by me to install a programmingable ecu and throttle bodies to give the best overall drivability/reliability and 'future proofing' as changes can be made very easily and quickly. there are also benefits to hot/cold start and air temp correction. that cannot be solved properly with a carburetors.!

thanks for reading this.!
meritlover!!

andy_srt40
26-02-08, 11:37 AM

i bbough my carbs brand new off the shelf jetted to my personal specs, and i just don;t like the way it drives or have pockets deep enough for the fuel

carbs are seriously dying out now, and theres a good reason for it, you can buy a set of bike bodies, inlet and gotech ecu for the price of two dcoe's and an inlet very easily :eek:

andy_srt40
26-02-08, 11:38 AM
so if your after a set of 40's jetted for a 1600 that are less than 5000 miles old, drop me a pm lol

meritlover
26-02-08, 03:24 PM
i bbough my carbs brand new off the shelf jetted to my personal specs, and i just don;t like the way it drives or have pockets deep enough for the fuel

you cant fit carbs off the shelf. regardless of jet sizes these will be a guide. but the engine will need set up properly.

Stuart
26-02-08, 03:46 PM
here we go lol.

ML, I'd leave it tbh..... you and I know you cant take "theoretically perfect/what worked on the last engine" settings and make them work perfectly on X engine.

ammusingly enough Dans old 1.6 8v on T40's did better on fuel than my standard 1.2 carb engine lol

adam c
26-02-08, 06:31 PM
lol.originally i was going to go the original inlet manifold/aftermarket management route as stuart had suggested it earlier.but i have actually bought dans old 1.6 8v t40 enginelol

Stuart
27-02-08, 08:57 AM
good call chap :D

I call shot gun on stealing it first for a blast on track... I loved that engine, broke all the rules and annoyed many.