PDA

View Full Version : Useable power.

Mike
25-02-08, 03:26 PM
Reviewing my options regarding my punny 1.6, as in tunning wise. As the car is as good as sold once completion it'll be going into Super 1600 rallying. So a useable amount of power is required.

I could cut some corners and skim the cam carrier by 1mm, thus creating an extra 1mm'ish of lift OR buy an Autosprint camshaft for ?100 and a Autosprint head for circa ?300 and be done with it.

Or I could keep the car, keep the standard ish head, still skim the cam carrier and run it on nitrous oxide? (Quicker turn around on engine build)

A XE transplant is out the window as its obviously over the 1600cc entitlement, but a standard engine will de-value LHA for its sale Re rally use.

At present, yes I do have a fair amount of disposable income (?400+ a week) I wont be buying the sump & tank gaurds as there not part of sale, nor are the front cage section, plumbed in anti fire or side mount seats. The main emphasis on the sale is a good strong engine, sorted chassis, braking system and running gear (diff is N/A at this time)

Opinions & input please :D

Mike.

burgo
25-02-08, 03:43 PM
1mm skim on the cam carrier wont give you 1mm more lift. it will give you more but i cant remember the rocker ratio to work it out

Mike
25-02-08, 03:48 PM
1mm skim on the cam carrier wont give you 1mm more lift. it will give you more but i cant remember the rocker ratio to work it out

Didnt we work it out as something like 0.8mm or something silly?

Luke, ill be to sort out postage for that head this weekend too :thumb:

craig green
25-02-08, 03:51 PM
I'm lost. Why is it pending sold for a super 1600 useage?

1600 twin cam will always pull way more horses than the 8v tbh. Put simply the head design will flow far more air, therefore a cheap 16v with NOS gets the vote as to the best method to get maximum grin for minimum outlay IMO.

Mike
25-02-08, 03:52 PM
Just been browsing the Net, mainly the autosprint site and me thinks ill be purchasing a lightened & blanaced flywheel, 270deg camshaft, getting my bottom end balanced by them, and sorting out a whole host of valve train goodness via them.

Get that all sorted, coupled with a inevitibly one of there stage 3 heads, a decent exhaust system & 4-1 and the work ive already done to the inlet (albeit minor work) and get it all dyno'd.

Mike
25-02-08, 03:53 PM
I'm lost. Why is it pending sold for a super 1600 useage?

Ive recieved an offer to good to refuse TBH although, I may well still refuse it lol

Adam
25-02-08, 04:42 PM
Is it staying on standard management?

Mike
25-02-08, 04:53 PM
Is it staying on standard management?

Yes it will be Ad. I dont want to spend ?1k+ on the likes of TB's and management only to get two & half times that back when i sell the car lol

Adam
25-02-08, 04:56 PM
K, best stick with around that 270deg cam tho.
Keep the ecu/afm happy.

Mike
25-02-08, 04:58 PM
Aye, 270deg is what im looking into cam wise, im thinking muchos head work, L+B bottom end, lightweight fly and maybe a lairy final drive.

TBH, if i do do the above, ill fecking keep the car for the odd track day and summer blasts :D

mowgli
25-02-08, 06:33 PM
fill me in on the how the cam carrier skim works please....
Surely the lift won't be affected at all because the whole camshaft is simply lower & the lifters will compensate for it... now a regrind will remove metal from the 'valve closed' part of the lobe, which will give more lift thus more power...

Ash
25-02-08, 07:11 PM
huu, if the cam carrier was skimmed, wouldn't it hold the valves slightly open when there meant to be closed? Surely thats not a good thing.

EDIT: D'oh - just read the above reply.

draper
26-02-08, 08:14 AM
why would you be building a car to simply sell it ? unless your doing it as a job for someone?

as craig said a 16v lump would be a better starting point, dont the 1600 series cars run bodies and management anyway ??

Mike
26-02-08, 12:41 PM
why would you be building a car to simply sell it ? unless your doing it as a job for someone?

as craig said a 16v lump would be a better starting point, dont the 1600 series cars run bodies and management anyway ??

Its not built to sell, but ive had an offer for it once its complete. And I used to build rally cars purely to sell anyway lol

Anyway, ive currently got a Mk3 Astra Sport, 1.6 16v as a daily driver, its MOT expires on the 8th, if it fails spectaculary, i could use its engine i suppose

mowgli
29-02-08, 01:58 PM
fill me in on the how the cam carrier skim works please....
Surely the lift won't be affected at all because the whole camshaft is simply lower & the lifters will compensate for it... now a regrind will remove metal from the 'valve closed' part of the lobe, which will give more lift thus more power...

Still no answer...............