PDA

View Full Version : will my XE have any problems??

tom_bish
25-02-08, 09:27 AM
Hi i've got an XE thats been sat for about a year without being ran.will this have caused it any problems? eg with the water pump corroding? is there anything i should check? It still turns over fine

Tom

Will F
25-02-08, 09:53 AM
If you havent done it already, change the belt and rollers and w/pump as a matter of course...

As long as you know it ran before you had it, dont worry.

craig green
25-02-08, 11:53 AM
I agree. I'd sooner change those items out of a car than wrestle with the inner wings etc for clearance. I had an XE that was left standing for 8 months & was last running upside down with a smashed cam cover & leaking out oil.

She was fine, though a little down on power for 1st hundred miles... (odd) but smoothed out shortly after.

Ste L
25-02-08, 12:18 PM
mine's been stood over a year, amnd hopefully should be fine..

think riggy's was sat over 2 years i think, and it fired first time too

craig green
25-02-08, 01:52 PM
Mine just felt flat & sluggish. I gave it hammering over the hills & used the long downhill runs to give it lots of overrun (highish revs with shut throttle) that cured it.

But I did roll it in a car & it was running for some time upside down.

tom_bish
25-02-08, 03:58 PM
Ok i feel a bit more confident now.

The plan is to drop it in my astra gte8v over the weekend to replace the 8v which is getting a bit tired. It will only be in the car for a few months until my nova is finished and then the astra will be coming off the road for a rebuild.

The cambelt etc all look fine and there are no weird noises when its turned over.However, it looks a bit rusty roo inside the rear of the water pump housing

Is it worth marking everything, slipping off the belt and cleaning up the water pump?? or will this clear up with a bit of time?

Mike
25-02-08, 04:02 PM
^ Better to be safe then sorry :thumb:

craig green
25-02-08, 04:03 PM
At the least put a new belt on. Belts dont always snap, but shred the teeth off when they get old & harden.

That 8v in your Astra pulls well for an 8v though.

Paul
25-02-08, 04:07 PM
a new belt and water pump kit should stand you in no more than ?150 worse way.

For the sake off that just do it quckly.

Also may need a service too another ?50...

But after than should be 'sweet as a nut'.

tom_bish
25-02-08, 05:14 PM
Craig - it does it's not far behind my mates mk3 gsi, but it lacks torque and the bottom end is a bit noisy

I think i might fit a new belt then

loggyboy
26-02-08, 12:13 AM
Left mine for over a year, after getting a new shell sorted, I did cam belt, (left tentioners as they had only done 5-6k) and a water pump as that had been suspicious before i took it out the car. The engine spent the year down a side path with a polythene sheet over it. 2 months after I installed it, it produced nearly 170 brake on a RR with no major mods :D