PDA

View Full Version : Bracing the doors?

ade
25-02-08, 01:10 AM
One of my many jobs is replacing an outer sill skin. now I intend to use a full item (from the spot welds on the bottom of the door down to the chassis rail) but whilst posting the "best way to tackle this" in a welding forum someone mentioned I'll need to brace the gap between the door (between A and B pillars) to stop them from closing up when the panel is removed?

They recommended using a builders brace.

Does this sound right, anyone done it and is the gap likely to change? Last thing I want is ir folding in on itself!

lee coley
25-02-08, 07:05 AM
dont bother it isnt going to fold.

Welsh Dan
25-02-08, 08:17 AM
http://www.aston-v8.co.uk/sills.htm

stark
25-02-08, 01:14 PM
Ade

You would only need to brace the A-B gap if you were replacing the entire sill, but from the sounds of it, you are just replacing the outer skin. As above, theres no need to brace as the inner will retain the shape.

ade
25-02-08, 09:55 PM
cheers guys - year just replacing the outer skin - the chassis rail and inner skin will remain.

Mike
26-02-08, 01:05 AM
Think of the outer as cosmetic, and the inner structural :thumb: you'll have no issues without a brace cheif

stark
26-02-08, 01:30 PM
Think of the outer as cosmetic, and the inner structural :thumb: you'll have no issues without a brace cheif

Not always - depends on how rusty the car is!!! lol

mikey14sr
01-03-08, 10:44 AM
Not strictly needed, but if you want peace of mind a length of exhaust tube tacked in place will do the job.