PDA

View Full Version : Dec

Anonymous
28-10-00, 05:22 PM
i read about ur car in revs, and its one clean nova u got there.
just wondering how much work was involved in the engine conversion because it seems like a good engine to put into a nova because of its size. 2.0 16v's seem too heavy etc...
i'd be gratefull for any details m8.

cheers elg

Anonymous
28-10-00, 07:19 PM
Elg

The 1.6 16v is the easiest 16v transplant you?ll find. It uses the same drive shafts, engine mounts and gear linkage etc, as the SR. The only major mods are the fuel tank (which has to be uprated to Gsi spec) and the exhaust needs cutting and shutting (I got BTB to custom make one anyway.) The rest is simple, NO inner wing mods, NO strengthening ?really? required (although I may fit a strengthening kit as I mod the engine further.)

1.6 16v?s and 2.0 16v?s sell for around the same price (I paid ?800 for a mint 30K lump from ?Just Novas.?) If your cars not injection already, then add ?50-100 for a tank and electronic fuel pump. Nova-tech can fit this lot for around ?1000.

Other benefits are, cheaper insurance and un-compromised handling.

As far as power goes, the standard engine pushes out 110Bhp, with a good exhaust and air filter expect about 125Bhp. But it?s the torque that really makes this engine special, it just pulls and pulls from the word go! With SBD?s MBE ?Group N? management and loom (?800) you?ll see about 135-140Bhp (Which I have just done!) If you then upgrade to SBD?s Throttle bodies (another ?800) you?re looking at 165Bhp, and add SBD?s cams (?900) for 190-200Bhp.

I ran the quarter mile at Santa-pod in 15.2 seconds; I raced a 2.0l 16v Corsa Gsi (with 180Bhp) and beat him off the line. He caught me up towards the end though and he managed a 15.1 (not bad eh?!)

Dec

P/S: If you do go for one, go for the older type (pre ECOTEC) engine with the plastic type inlet manifold (NOT the cast type.) These are less restrictive and give more power from standard

Anonymous
28-10-00, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah, REVS didn't feature a picture of the engine (For some very strange reason?) - You can see it at www.topbuzz.co.uk in the Gallery Section.

:)

Anonymous
28-10-00, 07:50 PM
nice one m8.
how will it all fare with my 1.2 antibes on a d-plate?
see car in feature section.
a standard engine etc. will do fine for me.
who did it for u?
how much would it be to get a standard gsi engine box etc. fitted and running?
could i do it myself. is there any means of contact with u where i can discuss it all further cos im really interested.
what about ecu etc.?

cheers
elg