PDA

View Full Version : What BHP ?????

nathanl
01-08-02, 12:37 PM
I am getting my motor rolling roaded on Saturday, I have got a 1.6 gte with a ramair induction kit, 4 branch manifold and a straight through exhaust to a piper back box. Ne1 got an idea what sort of brake I should expect to see ?
Cheers
Nathan.

saleen
01-08-02, 01:03 PM
I'd be surprised if u get more than 10-15bhp increase over standard power output. Of course the output measured @ the wheels will be less than at the flywheel, don't know by how much tho.

be interested to hear the results from the kit you've put on tho, let me know when u get it done, cheers.

saleen

Ben (lurk75)
01-08-02, 06:31 PM
if i am thinking straight the GTE standard was 100BHP so has to be about 10-12 years old so will probably be down to about 75-80BHP so the mods you have done will probably take it to about 105-110 BHP at rough guessing!

mikesri
01-08-02, 06:55 PM
Dan 16v had a 1.6 GTE engine in a 1.3sr shell. he took it 2 regal. He had a pipercross filter, rally cams, boost valve, higher octane plug, GSI ECU, 4 branch manifold with piper back box, spark plug booster cable, 1.8 injectors and supposedly a sports chip. He managed 103bhp. If ur engine is tidy and well looked after i reckon u should hit 100 easy, but probably not more than 110bhp. Another m8 had a 1.6 gsi lump in a 1.4sri which he only found out about a month after he had brought it!!! He took his there 2. It had a k&n and a janspeed exhaust and that kicked out 104bhp!

CP
01-08-02, 10:44 PM
A lot depends on the rolling road. They all give different readings and quite a lot are "encouraged" to give highish readings to massage the ego's of all us lot that go on them. Some are quite a lot higher than others.
As for your engine a lot will depend on the type of use its had and in particular the frequency of the oil changes. Engines that do high mileage tend to do a lower proportion of starting from cold than low mileage cars. If these cars are treated to very frequent oil changes as well, the engine will maybe more powerful than the day it was made.
Make sure you don't just do the cheap option and go for a straight run to get a 1 off hp. reading. Spend extra and get them to adjust your fuelling and timing properly cos it will probably need it if you haven't had it done since adding your mods. At the rolling road days that I've been to/ or read about in mags, about half the cars are shown to have incorrect timing and fuelling.

carltoncrazy
01-08-02, 10:54 PM
hmm after reading this its got me thinking(which is rare).
what you lot think my cars got(bhp)
its a 86 mk1 1300 SR
42k miles,
knN
ahsley GTE zorst.
some fancy nkg plugs up rated leads(dunno wot they r there just blue).
compared to you lot its a pretty standard car.
oh yeh been serviced to much,
as in had an oil change every 3k miles.(daft i no last owner did it so i jus carry it on)

mikesri
01-08-02, 11:04 PM
I reckon it should kick out about 75. mine supposedly kicks out 82 so 75 sounds about rite.

carltoncrazy
01-08-02, 11:16 PM
that aint bad for a 50quid car with no rust

mikesri
01-08-02, 11:23 PM
A nova with no rust is unheard of!!! but it sounds ok if u only paid 50 4 it!

nathanl
02-08-02, 11:09 AM
I will post what figures I get.

munchie
07-08-02, 12:49 AM
A nova with no rust is unheard of!!! but it sounds ok if u only paid 50 4 it!

I have a G reg Nova GTE with 16,000 miles from new, and trust me it has No rust :)

carltoncrazy
07-08-02, 10:54 AM
its got a wee bit of rust,but nothing on arches boot or silles,just got a spot on the bonnet and ontop of the front wing.
me happy 4 50quid,
seriosuly when cars get to this age you can tell when they have been garage all there life and r low millage

mikesri
07-08-02, 09:47 PM
16000 miles? must have cost quite a bit?