PDA

View Full Version : one or two hard to get answered let questions

alan b
20-02-08, 05:18 PM
well lads, mite have a nice let coming, tried searching for these but couldnt find anything. at the moment i have an in tank mpi pump for my xe. is there any intank pump i can use instead of buying a walbro one?
apart from the cams what else is different in the heads? as the one im getting is pourous and i have a perfect head here minus cams with valves already in, and valve springs. thats it for now if i think of another ill be back! cheers!

Adam
20-02-08, 05:29 PM
The xe pump is fine for a standard let.

For higher spec tho(ph2/evo 5 chips) its best get a walbro as the standard mpi pump is the "best" one vauxhall used.

Edwin
20-02-08, 05:40 PM
The inlet valve's on a XE are different then at the let. The let's have al valve's filled with nitrogen. And the XE only have them on the exhaust side.

Martin
20-02-08, 05:56 PM
fit your xe inlet cam;)

burgo
20-02-08, 06:03 PM
The inlet valve's on a XE are different then at the let. The let's have al valve's filled with nitrogen. And the XE only have them on the exhaust side.
i think you mean sodium filled and lets only have the exhaust valves sodium filled. where as xe inlet and exhaust are normal valves

Adam
20-02-08, 06:08 PM
Sodium filled due to the extra heat from the turbo etc.

alan b
20-02-08, 06:17 PM
grand so ill swop over the valves too make good use of that spring compressor i bought! ill need a vernier pulley to run an xe inlet cam though right? half a degree?

Adam
20-02-08, 06:20 PM
Half a tooth, about 7degs iirc.

burgo
20-02-08, 06:35 PM
total vauxhall did a feature on fitting the xe cam to a let engine using martins cavvy turbo. if i can find it ill post it up

alan b
20-02-08, 06:40 PM
lol lol half a degree that wouyld have been a waste of time cheers! actually think i have that tv somewhere whats on the cover?

burgo
20-02-08, 06:43 PM
lol lol half a degree that wouyld have been a waste of time cheers! actually think i have that tv somewhere whats on the cover?wish i knew. ive got literally 100's of mags so finding it is gonna be fun lol

Edwin
20-02-08, 06:54 PM
That's strange! I worked at a company called "Vege engines" in holland an until 4 year's ago the produced the orginal exchange engines for Opel. When i worked over there i rebuilt my engine because they had to rebuilt them with orginale parts suplyed by Opel self. I had an urly XE with an coscast head. and they have thoose filled exhaust valve's.

Have to say that i do not know if the XE was produced in more country's, so that may be a differance.

Philsutton
20-02-08, 06:54 PM
I couldnt be ****d to set it up properly and spend money on a vernier on mine so I just retarded it two teeth lmfao.

was two or one teeth I did, cant remember now but it wasnt the "specified" 7 degrees. Fact of the matter is it works just about.

Rick Draper
20-02-08, 06:59 PM
i think you mean sodium filled and lets only have the exhaust valves sodium filled. where as xe inlet and exhaust are normal valves

All XE's and LET's had sodium exhaust valves.

burgo
20-02-08, 07:02 PM
All XE's and LET's had sodium exhaust valves.ok i stand corrected. i just read a few threads on mig about it and they said only lets had them

Paul
22-02-08, 08:47 AM
the XE inlet cam on a LET actually causes poorer running if its retarded one tooth, its also not very good on standard timing marks. Its not worth doing IMO unless it it is retarded half tooth with a vernier.

As for the LET you may be getting, you can "de-porous" it for a few ?. Do a search on here by joff-nova-turbo, he did a good guide as to what the actual problem is. It is a cracked waterway that runs between the ports #2 +3.

And as for your fuel pump, it will be fine on a standard 200bhp LET, but on a P2 one, the standard pump will cause it to run lean.

Hope thats of some help

Paul

alan b
22-02-08, 12:24 PM
cheers bud!

Chris Astley
23-02-08, 11:17 PM
Can supply an uprated intank pump for ?95 delivered if you choose to change from the genuine vaux, as said above though the standard intank pump will be fine for standard or mildly tuned LET

alan b
24-02-08, 01:51 PM
gud man cheers!