PDA

View Full Version : 1.0 engines and unleaded fuel

johnnym
30-07-02, 06:21 PM
I've recently set up the timing on my nova 1.0. I read somewhere that on certain novas to use unleaded fuel you have to retard the timing by 5 degrees. Does anyone know which models this applies to or know anything more about this?

Thanks,

John.

carltoncrazy
30-07-02, 07:00 PM
any car will run on unlead even if its ment for leaded,
yes it will fcuk it,in time,
but all ya do is for every three tanks of unleade ya fill up once with leaded,or use lead replament sh**

Ste_Nova
31-07-02, 11:28 AM
i run my 1.0 on anything.... runs fine.... i still havn't changed the oil since i got it

MC
31-07-02, 11:57 AM
Unleaded has a lower octane rating, therefore it will detonate earlier. If your ignition is too advanced, it will start detonating too early and fight against the piston coming up (knocking/pinking). The amount to retard on almost all cars is about 5 degrees. It's not easy and is best left to someone with the knowhow and equiptment, allthough the only way to learn is to try.

What reg is your 1.0l? I think Vauxhall used hardened valve seats from about b reg onwards. If you haven't got these you'll need lead or an aditive to protect them.

rudi
31-07-02, 05:12 PM
Just thought i'd tag my question on to the back of this....

What year were Nova's unleaded by standard.. mines an 89 F reg and i have been putting normal unleaded fuel in it without even checking !!! :oops:

Also.. what with all the different types of unleaded fuel.... does it matter what type you use?

Thanks as always!

Learning a little more each day!!! :wink:

carltoncrazy
31-07-02, 05:22 PM
a petrol wil run on desiel,as long as ya dont switch it off as it will neva start again.
desiel will run on petrol.but wont do it much good,
wen i used to drive my old v8 range rover i used to put desiel in it and never notice a diffence in preforance,jus bit more smoke,(but then again anything with the word rover init does have preforance).
ya f plater is unleaded,everyone says G reg is the cut off date but thats B***sh** coz different car comapanys changed at different time,
anything from B onwards is unleaded,if ya unsure check under the feul cap,shuld say.
or hand book.

Ste_Nova
01-08-02, 09:24 AM
if it can run on un it will have a * after the engine number