PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 pistons......1.3 engine??

dave.gsi
29-07-02, 10:59 PM
read in total vaux that by using 1.2 pistons and conrods in a 1.3 engine (8valve) it turns it in to a 1.4ltr. is this easy to do and is it gonna give more power and torque?? also how much for all the parts i'll need??

Ben (lurk75)
29-07-02, 11:04 PM
Good luck!

carltoncrazy
29-07-02, 11:06 PM
im probley wrong but aint 1.2 smaller than 1.3?
also since then engine coming out,isnt it just better just to put a 1.4 init,
alot quicker and less haslle

dave.gsi
29-07-02, 11:13 PM
by doing it this way, externally the engine looks the same............mr insurance assesor wouldn't know what was inside.....therefore u can still insure it as a 1.3 :lol:

Ben (lurk75)
29-07-02, 11:18 PM
+ youve got something a bit different!

carltoncrazy
29-07-02, 11:27 PM
yes i understand that+the chances that a insuance company will both is so slim it wuld fit under ya door,
but wot im saying is that if thats a big IF something did happen and ya insurance did find out,
you be in big trouble,big trouble

Ben (lurk75)
29-07-02, 11:35 PM
there is no way that they could prove that he knew anything about it. unless he has owned the car from new.

and if they did get seriously suspicious just say the mechanic said something about struggling for parts so used ones of off a smaller engine

brian
29-07-02, 11:37 PM
Heard of that being done b4. 1.2 and 1.3 are same bore but different stroke therefore actually creating a 1.4 when conrods and pistons are changed.
seems a bit pointless going to the bother. a 1.4 engine would be fitted just as quick and a lot more straight forward!! :?

carltoncrazy
29-07-02, 11:47 PM
id just swap the engine,yeh i no they wouldnt know bu once ya start blabbing to people they might tell sum1 etc,
but yeh jus engine swap

MC
30-07-02, 08:33 AM
Very interesting subject.

It was actually a car with an engine like this that one the 1.3 and 1.4 class when we had our Santa Pod day. It was very quick, but had had alot done to it.

If you want to do this, you'll need the 1.2 crankshaft too, otherwise the stroke will be no different. Yep, the capacity will be slightly higher than a standard 1.4, but it won't rev as well, or be as smooth. Ideally to get the best performance, you want a larger capacity with a smaller stroke. Thats why F1 cars have capacities like 3.0l in a V10 lump. The shorter the stroke the better, so in theory there is little to be gained, except like you said with the insurance, and to be honest, if you smack it, they won't be bothered about stripping an engine down.

The main reason I wouldn't bother, and would just go for a 1400 is that playing with the bottom end can be expensive. If you want it done properly, you'll have to have the crank re-groungd and fit new bearings, and do it all in a clean environment. In total you'll be looking at quite a pricey job for little gain. Your best bet would probably be to get a 1.4 bottom end and fit your heda on it. It might bump your insurance up alittle, but it's probably cheaper than major engine work.

rgv_stu
30-07-02, 02:02 PM
i think u will find lads that the 1.2 is a larger bore than 1.3
and the stroke is longer on the 1.3

the vaux 1400 is basically 1.2 pistons in a 1300 bottom end (1400 pistons are ever so slightly smaller than 1.2 ones so capacity is like 1404 instead of 1398)

the 1400 and 1300 bottom ends are the same