PDA

View Full Version : Laptop problem

Lynsey
18-02-08, 10:44 AM
I have got a HP 530 and it's being gay! When it gets to the log in screen, I can't move the cursor (I just use the pad thing), I can log in using only the keypad but the cursor still stays in the middle of the screen. I thought it was the touch pad but when I start it in safe mode, the cursor moves as usual. Anyone got any ideas what's going on? :confused: :thumb:

Jack
18-02-08, 10:54 AM
Does the cursor move ok once you've logged in? Tried attaching a USB mouse?

Lynsey
18-02-08, 10:59 AM
No it won't move at all unless in safe mode. Haven't got a USB mouse :( I can go and get one but if it's broken I want it sorted, I haven't had it very long.

chimp007_uk
18-02-08, 11:33 AM
when was it last workling? try logging in in safe mode, and performing a system restore to when it was last working properly.

i spilt a cup of tea over my laptop yesterday... it came up with a fatal error, so i turned it off took it apart dried everything out and put it back together and it worked ok, but some hardware wasn't being detected :( so performed a system restore to a couple of days ago and it works perfectly now...

worth a bash.

Stuart
18-02-08, 11:40 AM
less than 12 months? warranty :D

chimp007_uk
18-02-08, 11:42 AM
lol

Lynsey
18-02-08, 11:55 AM
Cool, must be worth a shot. I will let you know how I get on. Otherwise, I think Stuart has the right idea :D

Stuart
18-02-08, 12:00 PM
if its got a warranty then its not worth you doing it yourself :D lol

chimp007_uk
18-02-08, 12:05 PM
ye of little faith, a restore will work fine...

as for the warranty and insurance... my mate "dropped" his laptop down the stairs and i accidently "stood" on it and it was replaced.

Welsh Dan
18-02-08, 03:30 PM
There's probably a button somewhere on it to disable the touchpad. Its probably one of the F-keys secondary functions (you'll have to hold down the function key, and press the right F-key).

If it works in safe mode then its not a hardware problem, and HP can be a nightmare to work with for warranty stuffs.

Jack
18-02-08, 03:37 PM
Yep, HP warranty claims can be a pain in the rint - we use mostly HP stuff here. If you do decide to go down that road, remove everything you want to keep off the hard drive. And if you have slightly less than legal stuff on there, run a data shredder over it a few times then restore with the factory cd :D

burgo
18-02-08, 04:13 PM
its karma kicking in lynz :p

Lynsey
18-02-08, 06:00 PM
Shhhh!! Thats our secret ;)

Lynsey
18-02-08, 06:01 PM
Thanks Welsh Dan, I will have a look when I'm home :D