PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy rocker cover gasket?

snapper
29-07-02, 07:35 PM
alright all!

got a little bit of a problem, ever since i've had my nova (about 2 years) it has been really oily round the rocker cover but not anywhere else on the engine (apart from where the oil has run down). only thing i can think of is the rocker cover gasket as i have to feed me car a pint and a bit of oil every 4/5 months :o .

any help, advice, insults appreciated!

ta

carltoncrazy
29-07-02, 09:11 PM
then replace the gasket

ade
29-07-02, 11:46 PM
If you pull away fast or accelerate hard, the pressure will force small amounts of oil out of gasket on cover - changing is easy - 1 new gasket (vauxhall for ?5) and 8 new bolts (vauxhall ?1.00 for 8 approx). Clean as much sh1te of the engine as you can (use gunk - messy but v effective) and then losen the bolts off at alternative angles (1st off top row, them second in from bottom row etc...), remove old gasket - clean rocker cover whilst off (make sure no sh1te falls into engine!)
replace new gasket (no need for any gasket sealer stuff) and then put bolts back on in alternative steps. No torque settings according to my haynes manual - just remember how hard they were to get off and do them up at the same pressure - alternate them though to spread load evenly over gasket.

Ade
:wink:

Dave_Hay
30-07-02, 05:27 PM
u unblocked the oil breather pipe? from my experience lol rocker gaskets dont tend to go on there own, usually happens cos of something else.

do u thrash the engine?

snapper
30-07-02, 05:36 PM
u unblocked the oil breather pipe? from my experience lol rocker gaskets dont tend to go on there own, usually happens cos of something else.

do u thrash the engine?

not sure about the oil breather pipe, i'll have a look tomorrow. but yes, i do thrash the engine but i've had the car for 2 years and it was doing it before i got my licence and started thrashing the engine :|

ade, cheers for the info. most helpful, i've got myself a haynes so it's down to when i've got time now...

thanks guys.

carltoncrazy
30-07-02, 06:06 PM
if ya thrash it ya asking for prolbems ,expect more bills if thats wot ya doing