PDA

View Full Version : Strut braces..

Mike
17-02-08, 12:06 AM
A nice good topical thread for a quite Saturday night...

Strut braces are, commonly, bent. As in not a generic straight "bar" of steel. Now my theory, as with some of my other theories (http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showpost.php?p=809695&postcount=6) is this.....

If said strut brace is already angular/bent/not fecking straight, how can it offer any kind of improvement at all?
Going by structural engineering geometrics, any bend in a structural reinforcer would be deemed as a weak part as it can flex far easier then a straight section (proven fact may I add ;))

And whilst Im on the subject, braces of a 3 part variety, where they have 2 strut top plates and the brace bar, these could be deemed non functional as the brace bar itself would simply use the bolts where it mounts onto the strut brackets as an axis on which to pivot on.

Discuss :D

Steve
17-02-08, 12:09 AM
Ive always though that was strange to make a bent bar as some sort of improvement, ideally you would want it entirely straight between the turrets

Mike
17-02-08, 12:15 AM
Although, on the other hand, during "normal operating procedures" when a strut brace is used, the matieral its made out of provides enough physical strength for its intended use.

Your average OMP brace is made from a hollow, 22mm dia seamless steel tube of at least 3mm wall thick ness, so essentially it would be the same as attempting to bend a 6mm steel plate (yes, for this exercise circles have two side)(the inside & the outside) although, my theory still stands!

Yes, im aware the same theory could apply to a rollcage, however, this is why most have a weld or bolt in cross diagonal to add to its structural integrity, therefore the diagonal will reduce and/or eliminate flex.

However, a strut brace does not have any kind of diagonal. Its just a shaped tube of steel.

Steve
17-02-08, 12:18 AM
As you say it probably is up to the job but why not make it straight to begin with? surely it would be slightly more effective if it wasnt bent.

Welsh Dan
17-02-08, 12:39 AM
I've always assumed that most strut braces were for looks, partly due to the reason you're thinking of mike, and partly because shiny ones are more popular than ones of a particular strength.

burgo
17-02-08, 01:57 AM
mike you are right in that ideally a strut brace would be straight. however obviously this isnt possible in most cases. therefore i beleave its a case of a bent bar is better than no bar at all

Martin
17-02-08, 09:18 AM
most baces wouldnt fit a xe or let if they was straight, or most engines tbh, so the way o get theses things to sell is to make them fit, otherwise they'd be pointless and we all be welding scaf bar acros the engine, then we'd have a problem with the bonnet not sshutting to wed heat the bar up and bend it into place, and vola, you have a fitting "bent" strut brace..

thats my theory anyway...