PDA

View Full Version : Braking opinions/advice needed.

John
15-02-08, 08:37 PM
Right, as some of you may be aware i'll be swopping the 256mm front brake set up on the car soon for a 236mm set up. Now the car is approx 150bhp, it's not used for any other purpose than shows/road use etc. I want to make the brakes the best they can be running 236's, as currently they're naff and the pedal feel is less than inspiring. The car currently runs the standard 1985 old style servo and master cylinder, standard overhauled rear drums and braided brake lines.
Which servo/mc combo would work best? I've seen some running non-nova servo/mc's, but would this help me here? Would reducing the rear braking effort help at all?
Any help/advice appreciated:thumb:

Riggy
15-02-08, 08:41 PM
john if needed ive got some brand new unopend red dot 20 groove discs and pads for sale

John
15-02-08, 08:50 PM
Cheers riggy, but i've already got some 236mm tarox discs with mintex pads sorted.

Philsutton
15-02-08, 08:53 PM
You can get some crazy small 4 pots that are designed to go behide small wheels, depends how far your willing to go.

All I can say is your very brave using them, they scare me in a standard 1lt nova lol.

John
15-02-08, 08:56 PM
Just wanna get the most from the braking system using the 236mm ate calipers really phil. Funds won't stretch to 4 pots!

trackdaynova
15-02-08, 08:58 PM
John, as you'll probably know being a Vaux-Mech, the standard split front to rear is 75/25, so I personally wouldn't say changing the rears would make much difference.

I also had a standard 1200 servo, which I upgraded to a GSi item

http://www.turbo-nutters.co.uk/images/switch_nova/nc0104.jpg

I am however using the standard MC, along with some big brakes, Black Diamond braided lines allround, and I'm more than happy with my brakes.

Hope this helps a little?

trackdaynova
15-02-08, 09:00 PM
Just a quick question, are you downsizing to 236's to be able to run 13/14" wheels for the euro-look?

PS: any gen on internal shifter - awaiting your Paypal addy, need it asap as need to get it fitted before trackday

Stuart
15-02-08, 09:02 PM
discs are technically irrelevant in terms of improved braking (unless going bigger).

the key is pads. you can get Mintex M1155's to fit the 236mm calipers, would be scary good :D

John
15-02-08, 09:04 PM
Cheers olly, my servo isn't even like that one in your pic, it's the early tiny
one!
How much pedal travel do you have?

John
15-02-08, 09:05 PM
discs are technically irrelevant in terms of improved braking (unless going bigger).

the key is pads. you can get Mintex M1155's to fit the 236mm calipers, would be scary good :D

Stuart i hopefully have some 1155's on the way, i wanna ugrade the m/c servo to get the most from the system.

trackdaynova
15-02-08, 09:06 PM
No way... even smaller than that... hehe

Pedal travel is nigh none, very little 'give', very solid feeling

John
15-02-08, 09:06 PM
Just a quick question, are you downsizing to 236's to be able to run 13/14" wheels for the euro-look?

PS: any gen on internal shifter - awaiting your Paypal addy, need it asap as need to get it fitted before trackday

Yeah, so i can run 13's.

Sorry not checked the shifter thread, will do now.

Stuart
15-02-08, 09:07 PM
imho the servo size increase will do funk all for braking performance, just you wont have to press the pedal as hard thats all.... Like power steering dosent get you round the rack faster, it just weighs less.

John
16-02-08, 08:51 AM
So is there any other way to enhance the brakes stuart? so upgrading to say a gsi servo and m/c will gain me nigh on naff all?

Stuart
16-02-08, 08:56 AM
no sure but craig green can confirm, but I think the gsi/gte MC was the same bore as the others anyway.

I think an astra MC of some sort fits (again craig can confirm).

Best way to enhance them (without going bigger/4pot) is to cool them with ducting, make sure you have super baad ass brake fluid and generally bed the pads in right etc.

John
16-02-08, 08:58 AM
cheers stuart, any suggestions on fluid?

trackdaynova
16-02-08, 09:00 AM
best stuff I've personally ever used is this

brake fluid came yesteday, brilliant service, price and delivery from K300 Performance.co.uk (http://www.k300performance.co.uk/ate-super-blue-racing-brake-fluid.htm)

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q161/neocapture/nc0271.jpg

Stuart
16-02-08, 09:03 AM
im on the same stuff :) plus comes in a handy blue or amber so you can tell when its bled through :D

its not as baaaad ass as some fluid but it wont eat your seals so thats a winner.

Steve
16-02-08, 04:42 PM
Im only running 256mm ebc discs with green stuff pads, the pads are crap but on std m/c and servo ive got a really good pedal, using 5.1 fluid.

Have a chat with saloony john, I believe he modded a 2.0 astra or cav m/c & servo. And i'd go with stuart on the choice of pads, ive always found mintex pads to be good :thumb: