PDA

View Full Version : Help me please!!

Leeboo
15-02-08, 08:08 PM
I was trying to fit a CD player to my 1.0 Nova, and the connections are different so I am/was chopping and connecting wires, in an effort to make it work. I connected red to red, blue to blue, black to black, yellow to yellow and plugged in the ariel, and ignored speaker wires for now:

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd139/leeberto/S4010006.jpg

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd139/leeberto/S4010007-1.jpg

I then checked if the CD player worked, but no, it didnt light up.

So I called it a bad job and was going to leave it, but I noticed straight after, that the red lights which come on with the ignition turned on, arent working. Also the roof light isn't working anymore, but worked right before I tried the CD player. The car still starts fine, lights work, backlights in clocks work etc.

So have I blown some fuses? Also any advice on how to get the CD player working?

Thanks

staggy_gsi
15-02-08, 08:56 PM
check all fuses, chances are you've blown something.

why not just do it properly and spend 10-15 quid on a proper conversion loom, so much simpler. not to mention a lot less annoying for the next person to buy the car lol. EVERY time i buy a car, some little tw@t has chopped the wires!!!

Leeboo
15-02-08, 09:07 PM
Fuses, in the fuse box on the right under the dash? Im a noob at this.

Well you could call me some little ****, but the wires have already been bodged, so can't be much worse, to be honestlol But I might look into an adapter.

There was like some orange box etc added to the original wires, I haven't a clue what its for. Would pics of that help?

Anymore advice is needed/appreciated!!

7ova
15-02-08, 09:12 PM
first of all mate you need a test light!
check all your fuses
radio is on same fuse as interior light/cig lighter "i think":tard:
(if those work its ok)
the brown is earth, use that to connect your test light
check to find ignition and a constant live
use book that comes with cd to match up
(ie brown "earth" on car to black "earth" on cd)
after it is fitted if the radio doesnt remember its stations
swop ignition and constant live round :confused:
its easy when you know how
if you were round corner i would have done it for you
its took longer to explain
good luck :thumb: :)

General Baxter
15-02-08, 09:15 PM
buy your self a multi meter ;) will help loads :p

Leeboo
15-02-08, 09:30 PM
It sounds alot more complicated than I had first thought! Damn abnormal Nova wiring :cry:

7ova - yes mate the interior light isn't working now, I have no cig lighter. the ignition lights also aren't working. Yes a mate mentioned swapping some wires for remembering stations. I have no manual with the CD player, but I assume it is the same as most other CD players? Mine is Kenwood, might look at the manual from my brother's JVC cd player? Or would that be stupid?

Also, I have never had to replace fuses etc, so wouldn't recognise a blown fuse. :wtf: lol I looked in the fuse box and noticed that flat metal pin was hanging out of a fuse, is this it?

Thanks General Baxter, my friend also mentioned something like that!

Leeboo
15-02-08, 09:39 PM
These were added to the original wires, anyone know what they are?

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd139/leeberto/S4010008.jpg

7ova
15-02-08, 09:47 PM
its had a after market set fitted before by a butcher :wtf:
they are in line fuses, one on ignition and one on constant live
put your test lamp on earth (the brown radio wire or say the door hinge)
put on ignition and touch other end of test lamp on to each side of fuse
to see if power is passing through untill you find any blown ones :thumb:

Leeboo
15-02-08, 10:05 PM
I had thought as much! Ok so bin those wires?

Now, I don't have a 'test lamp', is this the technical name, and can they be got easily?

I will explain things as I see them...I have a yellow wire, blue wire, red wire, a thick brown wire, two smaller brown wires and a whitish one.

When you refer to the brown wire, I assume you mean the thick brown wire? The others are for speakers?

And my last noob question, what fuse, I was looking in the fuse box under dash, how would I test that?

I'm sorry, I am totally uneducated with electrics!

7ova
15-02-08, 10:22 PM
no a test lamp is just a test lamp only other name is circuit tester
you can buy them from any motorist discount shops
thick brown on car to black on cd
yes test all the fuses in your fuse box
you may have blown more than one there mate
you will have to replace fuses before checking/finding the wires
bring it to yorkshire, i will do it for you, it will be quicker
good luck mate

Lee
15-02-08, 10:47 PM
On the back of the fuseboard cover, there is a diagram to show you which fuse does which. Find the one with the picture of the ciggarette iirc, and use that to find the fuse. Remove it and look in the side of it, you should see a thin strip of metal which has probably snapped. Replace for a fuse the same rating.

Leeboo
15-02-08, 10:47 PM
Ok mate I might pick up one of those when i get fuses.

Ok thick brown to black, and so are the rest colour co-ordination?

You're right, it would be quicker bringing it to yorkshire, really! But, I am always one to try!

How do you test fuses in your fuse box? they just slot in... This probably sounds stupid to someone who knows how!

Leeboo
15-02-08, 10:52 PM
On the back of the fuseboard cover, there is a diagram to show you which fuse does which. Find the one with the picture of the ciggarette iirc, and use that to find the fuse. Remove it and look in the side of it, you should see a thin strip of metal which has probably snapped. Replace for a fuse the same rating.

Thanks mate, I have went out and looked at the inside of the cover upon your advice.. No. 18!

Yes thats what I tried to explain previously about the strip of metal hanging out of the fuse.

Thanks for taking a minute, where would I be without the PNG massif!

7ova
15-02-08, 11:14 PM
Thanks for taking a minute, where would I be without the PNG massif![/quote]

with out a radio in your nova :thumb:

Leeboo
15-02-08, 11:27 PM
7ova, thick brown to black, and so are the rest colour co-ordination?

How do you test fuses in your fuse box? they just slot in... This probably sounds stupid to someone who knows how!

Lee
15-02-08, 11:35 PM
7ova, thick brown to black, and so are the rest colour co-ordination?

Looking at them normally suffices. Take them out and check the connection isnt cut between the pins.

7ova
15-02-08, 11:39 PM
first replace no 18 fuse see if your interior light works again?
connect your earth, use your test light to find the live and ignition on car, connect to radio
and see what happens?:D

Leeboo
15-02-08, 11:39 PM
Thanks!