PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Write-Off??

KSRY
14-02-08, 08:43 AM
Went to look at a Nova last night, that had been deemed by an insurance company as an uneconomical repair, they'd paid out for the car but told the owner they could keep the car, it's only minor damage really but because its a Nova they probably thought it wasn't worth it, the owner still has the V5 etc, I'm just wondering if I did buy it, would there be any legal complcations for me, or is it just like a normal car? Everything seems in order and the man selling seems genuine, he wants an answer by tonight, anyone had any experience with something like this?

Matt2107
14-02-08, 08:49 AM
I think... depending on what class of write off it is you'll have to repair the damage and have it inspected... then apply to DVLA.

Jack
14-02-08, 12:39 PM
If its category A, B or C, the insurance company will have informed DVLA and they will have put a "VIC marker" against the car. To remove it, the car will need to be repaired and then inspected by VOSA who will perform a Vehicle Identity Check (VIC).

To check if the car has a VIC marker, contact VOSA on 08706 060 440.

Note that DVLA will NOT issue a V5 on a car with a VIC marker. So technically you can't purchase the car from the seller if it has been written off, as DVLA won't issue you with a new V5 in your name.

More info here (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/AdviceOnBuyingAndSellingAVehicle/DG_4022107).

Also bear in mind you have to declare previous write offs to insurance companies.

Matt2107
14-02-08, 01:00 PM
See... I had the right answer just minus the facts. :D

NovaGuy1400SRi
14-02-08, 01:57 PM
my dad bought a category c written off mk3 astra about 3 years ago, got it fixed, vic checked and the dvla sent out a new v5, doesnt cost anything to reapply for the v5 if its cat c.

hope this helps, John.

dannyb
14-02-08, 04:50 PM
I found this on a car accident claim website

Category A must be crushed.
Category B salvage is to be broken down for parts only.
In brief categories D and C are deemed, uneconomical to repair. These are cars which have been involved in a major car accident (http://www.car-accident-claim.com/html/Fatal%20car%20accident%202.htm)and are simply uneconomical for an insurance company to repair, or have been deemed a write-off by an insurance company to minimise hire car charges.

Martin
14-02-08, 05:00 PM
and iirc, Chris of here awhile ago, now Scott parkers shell was tghe same, and it had to have the original engine it with al lthe original numbers etc..

ade
14-02-08, 07:14 PM
cat c and d are the only ones you can repair and providing it passes mot and relevant checks then its fine.

Some insurers however wont insure cars that have been previously written off - the reason being is if involved in another accident they cannot guarantee the quality of the work. Sounds daft but its all down to costs.

nowadays - you can pretty much gusrantee any car thats about V reg or older will get written off - depending on damage of course...

cars are so cheap nowadays its just not economical.