PDA

View Full Version : how much power will a clutch take

imnobby
13-02-08, 11:09 PM
hi everyone need some help i have a nova with a corsa gsi turbo engine in it i was just wondering how much power will a standard clutch take or would it be better to buy an uprated clutch as it had 190bhp and dont want it to burn out too quick thanks ryan

Stoo
13-02-08, 11:10 PM
what????

a corsa GSi lump? that has been turbod??

what clutch is in it now?

imnobby
13-02-08, 11:13 PM
yeah its a corsa gsi lump that has been turbod its got a standard clutch in it now but its on its way out, and i dont no what to buy for it if its worth me buying a uprated one thanks ryan

tom_beverley
13-02-08, 11:16 PM
Better off going for an uprated one, standard ones weren't really designed for 190bhp!

Plenty about, look on Demon Tweeks, Harry Hockley, eBay and other tuners. What gearbox is being used, an F15?

imnobby
13-02-08, 11:18 PM
f15 box is on it do you reckon a standard would hold the power though or just stop being a tight a**e and get the uprated one??

Adam
13-02-08, 11:21 PM
Power isnt usually the issue, torque is, which a turbod engine will make plenty of. So yeah, an upgrade is worthwhile.

imnobby
13-02-08, 11:23 PM
kk thanks for your help looks like i will have to get rid of the cobwebs out of my wallet and spend some dollar lol! cheers again

tom_beverley
13-02-08, 11:24 PM
It would hold, but you would get less slippage and more life (depending on use) if you swapped to an uprated one. They cost more, but if you weight that against how many standard clutches you will go through its an easy answer.

Just do a bit of shopping round to find the most competitive price.

imnobby
13-02-08, 11:26 PM
good idea batman (not talking the piss btw) ill get uprated one tomorra n finally get it bk on the road cheers

craig green
14-02-08, 02:08 PM
In my experience, a std one will be fine. I had a turbo'd 8v with std box & clutch. Many full throttle starts & bad abuse didnt hurt the box or clutch.

I ran an EBC clutch. It looked a bit scorched upon removal but was still operating fine & I suffered no slip. That was 170lb/ft going through an F13 box.