PDA

View Full Version : How can I tune the engine ?

barnell
12-02-08, 10:43 PM
I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on my engine, but i just want it to sound better. Any ideas on how to tune it ? =\
I have a nova 1.2
I know a backbox makes it louder but personally i don't really think it sounds that great lol.
Any ideas people.. :D

peester
12-02-08, 10:59 PM
http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93012

paddy138
12-02-08, 10:59 PM
dont waste your money,, save your money to buy a bigger engine,

DTR-DEVIL
12-02-08, 11:39 PM
Hes got a point, ^^

i would say maybe a webber or a full system? But then Mods = Money,
and if u aint got!
im afraid you stuck with the backbox! :)

burgo
13-02-08, 11:08 AM
it winds me up when people say dont bother fit a bigger engine. sometimes thats not possible.

anywh im abit confused as to what you want. do you want to tune the engine for more power or do you want a better "sound" from it. if its sound you want what sort of sound are you trying to achieve

barnell
14-02-08, 05:57 PM
I wanted to produce better sound from it.
I'm not to fussd about the power of it at the moment.
I just didnt really want it to fit a backbox to it as i feel that it sounds like a bit of a 'banger' lol. no affence to any one.
so... any ideas? lol

Lee
14-02-08, 06:07 PM
You could have a custom stainless exhaust made. You can normally describe to the builder how loud / what tone you want to get out of it, and you can choose your tailpipe, so it could still be subtle. But it costs around 350 quid.

And dont let them tell you its not got the beans to make a noise, the backbox snapped off my 1.2 the other day, and it was so loud it nearly loosened my fillings!!!

burgo
14-02-08, 06:18 PM
as chav as it may sound drilling the air box makes a good noise

Lee
14-02-08, 06:23 PM
as chav as it may sound drilling the air box makes a good noise

IMO only on a multipoint inj engine. Does nothing to an SPi or carb.

burgo
14-02-08, 06:28 PM
IMO only on a multipoint inj engine. Does nothing to an SPi or carb.are we putting money on this??

Martin
14-02-08, 06:28 PM
my mate did it to his punto and it sounded just as good as his dads mk3 mpi astra

Lee
14-02-08, 06:29 PM
are we putting money on this??

Always up for a bit of a punt with me old fruit Burgo :) How would you like to conduct this experiment?

burgo
14-02-08, 06:30 PM
Always up for a bit of a punt with me old fruit Burgo :) How would you like to conduct this experiment?i have a digi cam and my rude boy shaloon :tard: which i can use to prove just how affective drilling the box can be.

FUSION X16XE
14-02-08, 06:34 PM
i drilled the air box on my nova and it defo gave it more of and induction noise but not very noticable tbh best bet would be an aftermarket air filter.

burgo
14-02-08, 06:36 PM
to be fair i didnt exactly drill my air box, it was more take it off, put it on the floor and smash it with a hammer in the right places lmao

Lee
14-02-08, 06:45 PM
to be fair i didnt exactly drill my air box, it was more take it off, put it on the floor and smash it with a hammer in the right places lmao

lol. Ive done it with a load of cars, including a lot of mates. My findings were as follows..

Corsa 1.2 Spi = Feck all difference.
Cav 1.8GL = Feck all difference
Cav 2.0 Gli = Nice throaty warble
Nova 1.4 SR = Feck all again
VW Jetta GTi = Nice warbly induction noise
VW Vento = As above
Sierra XR4x4 = mmmmmmmmmmmm :)

Astra LS 1.4 MPi = JESUS CHRIST, sounded like a scooby, never heard anything like it lol.

Drilling the airbox on a carb engine might make it sound a bit deeper, but you wont get an induction roar lol

burgo
15-02-08, 02:08 PM
:( my attempt to capture the noise is very poor. i think i need someone standing there and for me to come past them

peester
15-02-08, 07:51 PM
under load only; i put a green p66 (?) replacement 'induction kit' filter for the pancake on my old 1.2 spi - made a nice lil grrrrrrr deffo..
Dunno bout carb tho..

matt_vaughan
01-07-08, 03:25 PM
Drilling the airbox on a carb engine might make it sound a bit deeper, but you wont get an induction roar lol

Yep, right there. Had a pikey session and put a few holes in my airbox, deeper sound, no induction roar though.