PDA

View Full Version : 32/34 inlet manifold

mikeoxford
25-07-02, 11:26 PM
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34317

read the above post, and saw how this bloke had modified his manifold, and said if he hadnt the weber would be restricted, is this true, and should i do mine the same as the picture??

weber was installed by a garage before i got the car so i doubt it would have been done, just bolted on

thanks
mike

rob.slader
26-07-02, 10:03 AM
I won't cause you a problem if your inlet manifold hasn't had this done, althought you would notice some difference if it was. Its all about improving air flow, so removing the centre section will improve the flow. Also you can see from the pictures that they have polished the inside of the manifold, this also improves flow. As standard the inside of an inlet manifold is rough so smoothing it (known as polishing & porting) makes the flow better. It doen't look like the other end of the inlet manifold (head end) has been polished. It's best to have all of it done. You could have yours taken off and have this work done, it's not a big job.

Ste_Nova
26-07-02, 01:43 PM
wrong.... polishing the inlet will remove the swirl effect created by the rough surface

rgv_stu
26-07-02, 01:54 PM
btw thats my inlet manifold ;)

its not polished just took out all the nasty cast lines, as steve said it dont want to be polished. its just a rough finish with emery cloth on a drill

if u take ur weber off u will see exactly how much i have taken out, and its quite a bit. if u leave it standard u ARE restricting flow as the inlet holes ar approx 27 and 30mm designed for the pierburg, whereas the weber carb is 32/34 mm. even more can be taken out than what i have, ive just improved it

also all the ports have now got a smoother airflow as i have rounded off the corners on the inside.

rob.slader
27-07-02, 06:45 PM
Yeah I realise it's your manifold now. Didn't mean to offend you with what I put. Apologies if I have. I realise that totally polishing it would not be a good idea, I think you mis-understood what I was saying Ste.... I meant that you want it smooth enough for the flow to be better, but not to drag, as it would being totally polished.

mikeoxford
28-07-02, 12:13 AM
so you guys would say yes have it done?

my uncle owns an engineering firm, is it something he could do in a milling machine, or is it a very precise job of which only people in the trade should contemplate???

i would get a manifold from a scrappy ne how - at same time need to get a few other engine bay styling parts to have taken to the chromers!!!

now theres a thing.....can the outside of it be chromed?? or cant you chrome cast?

oh BTW, if anyone wants parts chromed, im thinkin of doin it on a swap basis, send out chrome part and get yours back, can get anything done, and at good price.

Ste_Nova
28-07-02, 03:07 PM
i need my bonnet chroming can you do it?