PDA

View Full Version : Not Exactly a Nova

Clarky_15
11-02-08, 11:17 PM
I own a Vauxhall Astra Mk2 GTE Cabriolet

I recently brought it at a bargain price of ?50 and it has full interior + working electric roof! But the downside and the reason it is so cheap is because the engine wont start it has been sitting for a fair few years now and im not very mechanically minded , When you turn the ignition it trys to start but never kicks and Starts it read that it has about half full tank of petrol and im abit stumped at the moment , Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance :thumb:

((Sorry for posting it on a Nova forum but i have had no luck elsewhere and i hope you guys can help))

Jamienova
11-02-08, 11:20 PM
check to see if cambel;t has gone first

Clarky_15
11-02-08, 11:24 PM
Yea i will do i'll give it a good check when i get chance to run round my aunty's but hopefully should be getting it trailed back to mine to give it a full check up , Probs get my dad to gimme a hand

Steve
11-02-08, 11:30 PM
Bargain for ?50!! as long as it isnt rotten that is.

Those engines are dead reliable so it shouldnt be anything major, starter motor could be knackered, aside from the cambelt, plugs, filters, oil change, dizzy cap. Oil pressure gauge good?

Welcome to png by the way :thumb:

Welsh Dan
12-02-08, 12:00 AM
If its been sat for a few years, drain the fuel and replace it as fuel degrades over time. Check that you're getting fuel pressure, compression and a spark and thats the main bits out of the way.

EDIT, you're welcome here, but also have a look at http://www.astra-mk2.com/ . :)

Clarky_15
12-02-08, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the welcome Steve

Its not too rotten just need rear arches sorted but the battery tray is solid etc main damages is arches and i gotta free the Brakes aswell because the bloke thinks they may have corroded and stuck.

and thanks for all the great advice you have been a major help hopefully it will be trailored to my house by tomorrow or the next up coming week so i can give it the full once over and get your advice into gear and get things changed

Clarky_15
12-02-08, 12:08 AM
Yeah i've just registered on there Dan i just need the admin to accept the registration :D

Hopefully i can get the engine going and whack it in a nova :D

Steve
12-02-08, 12:10 AM
Once you've got 15 posts you'll have to get some pics up, I take it its an 8v?

Either way, dead reliable engines so shouldnt be too hard to fix.

Clarky_15
12-02-08, 12:18 AM
Yea 8v mate , Definately will get some pics up will give it a good wash first then no probs

Clarky_15
12-02-08, 12:19 AM
Cant wait to get it back here ! so work can begin :D ill take some snaps on the way if i can nick the parents camera :P

BenNova
12-02-08, 09:43 AM
welcome mate, sound like a good project, as you say 15 posts and your away on the projects threads!

Clarky_15
14-02-08, 02:24 PM
Finally got the astra back home now , the rust was a bit worse than i thought well atleast on the rear panels quite afew rust spots , probably require a new panels , but other than that alls well just need to get crackin with the motor now

Clarky_15
14-02-08, 02:25 PM
Pics will come soon once ive give it a good clean and got 15 posts :thumb:

burgo
14-02-08, 02:28 PM
did they say if it was running or not before it was parked up

Clarky_15
14-02-08, 04:29 PM
Yeah , Supposidly the previous owner had it running and would start everytime , But he actually lost the keys and then just let it sit until this day