PDA

View Full Version : Starting Problems Again!!

greg1.4
11-02-08, 04:24 PM
i am really pissed off with my nova..again!!

right it was a 1.2 carb'd model..i then changed it for a 1300 sr engine. it started no probs when i converted it then a few weeks after that it wouldnt start..i found out it was a burnt out starter loom..i replaced that and it worked fine..

when i replaced it, i have got an earth straight from the starter mounting bolt to the battery and a earth from the battery to the bulkhead..i also have the live wire going to the starter and alternator..

is this ok? where are all the earth's on nova sr engines?where are all the lives?

anyway, i have put 2 starter motors in the car since as they packed up and today it has fried its third starter in the last 4 days..:eek: :cry:

surely there is something wrong here..

anyone have any ideas as i cannot keep going on like this..

i have also checked if it is the ignition switch and it aint that..

its also funny how when i replace the starter it works fine again.. (for a day or two)

any help will be greatly appreciated as this is doing my head in now..

meritlover
11-02-08, 06:01 PM
frying starters are not due to earths. as the current would be limited due to the high resistance of the earth.

what exactly is the fault? wont it start? or because your burning motors?

could it be that your cranking it too long trying to get it to start like another post thats on here just now?

greg1.4
11-02-08, 07:26 PM
not cranking that long..

it wont even turn over..no click or nothing..the dash lights go dimmer but nothing.

i hit the starter tonight with a bar and it started..then it wouldnt turn over again after i stopped the engine.so i hit it again and it started first time..

i am going to buy a brand new starter now but i need to find out why it has funked other starters..:confused:

garyc
11-02-08, 08:42 PM
are you putting the right stater on, could it be possible you have one of the larger flywheel on the or wrong starter so its turning over but the gears are binding and causing the motor to burn out?

meritlover
12-02-08, 07:43 AM
i hit the starter tonight with a bar and it started..

sounds like the solenoid to me

greg1.4
12-02-08, 06:44 PM
i was told all nova starters are the same :confused:

Adam
13-02-08, 05:16 PM
Ive seen different ones.
As some models(1600s etc) have larger flywheels.....

When i had the same problem you describe, another solenoid sorted it.
But its strange how 3/4 starters can all go wrong?