PDA

View Full Version : Car will not start ??

hc coupe
11-02-08, 01:26 PM
Hi,

The battery on my cars has been knackered for the past 3-4 weeks so I?ve just been jumping it, as I didn't have any money in January :mad: .

Anyway last week it didn't want to start yet; I had the key turned for a good 1-2 minutes (yes I'm a plonker) with the started motor wizzzzing away , and then it stopped and sum smoke appeared :confused: . Not much but i couldn?t see were it was coming from. . It was like someone had thrown a fag in there so not a lot of smoke but was constant. Any idea's what went or what to look for ...?

When I turn the key to start it, it just "clonks" once and nothing............

Thanks once again

meritlover
11-02-08, 01:32 PM
yes you are a plonker!!!! such violations to a poor nova engine. :(
sounds like a burnt out starter motor or a poor earth.
it may be the contacts on the back of the solenoid are faulty/burned out and it isnt powering the motor.
but maybe not.
check your earthings then take the motor to many pieces to check it for burnt smells and dead windings. the resistances are in the haynes book.use an ohmeter.

do not make this mistake again.

craig green
11-02-08, 02:06 PM
I'd just whip the motor off & have it re-conned or exchange it.

Then you still need to find out why it doesnt start.... out of petrol?

5T1G
11-02-08, 04:19 PM
Possibly the insulation on the wire going to the starter motor, the wire gets very hot thus burning/melting the rubber/plastic? insulation causing smoke

The starter may have jammed because it got hot after continuse use? Check the condition of the wire going to the starter motor (mine is red but yours might be different) if this has "wrinkled" up then replace the wire.

Did you let the car cool down and try again?

If so does the starter engage, try to start?

meritlover
11-02-08, 05:49 PM
try shorting out the 2 posts of the solenoid with spanner or screwdriver.and see if the motor spins up

Stoo
11-02-08, 05:50 PM
put a spanner across the battery terminals and watch it go bang

meritlover
11-02-08, 06:01 PM
put a spanner across the battery terminals and watch it go bang

Stoo, that is not good advice. it is dangerous to suggest such doings.

Philsutton
11-02-08, 06:05 PM
thats no different from shorting it across the back of the starter with a spanner lmfao

meritlover
11-02-08, 06:07 PM
erm....yes it is. its exactly what the solenoid is doind anyway. doing this eliminates the contacts at the back of the pre-engage solenoid.
if you look at a starter for 2 seconds you will understand.

Stoo
11-02-08, 06:08 PM
Stoo, that is not good advice. it is dangerous to suggest such doings.

Shut up you mong! Nobaody is THAT stupid!

meritlover
11-02-08, 06:09 PM
iam most offended Stoo.

Stoo
11-02-08, 06:10 PM
chin up

it was a joke!

meritlover
11-02-08, 06:10 PM
ha ha i get it now.
thank you stoo.:thumb:

Adam
11-02-08, 06:21 PM
When you say starter motor was wizzing away, was it actually turning the engine over? lol
Or just spinning without touching the fly?

Sounds like a fooked starter/solenoid if its just clicking.