PDA

View Full Version : Gauges

Leeboo
09-02-08, 11:06 PM
Ok, I think I have the right section, and want some advice!

My uncle has given me some gauges out of his old Chevette for me to use in my 1.0 Nova.

I have a vacuum performance gauge, a volts gauge and a 'Macao' gauge with readings ' 0 4 8' and a needle, I cant remember what he said this was for?

Lastly, I have an old retro rev counter, which has red, white, black and green wires coming from it, is there any significance?

I want to try to get some of these gauges working, and so need advice on how/where they need wired. Does the rev counter have to be connected to the coil?

Please and thank you! :thumb:

mowgli
10-02-08, 12:44 AM
just ebay them & get a 6 dial set out of another nova, it will fit & look good
the need to know what your manifold vacuum is doing got lost in the seventies somewhere

Asa-James
10-02-08, 08:42 AM
i'd go for it mate, why not try something different!!

i think for your rev counter, red is a live feed, black is an earth, green will be the signal wire from the coil, white i'm not sure about, possibly illumination??

if the coil is the same as other nova's (i cant remember, years since i've looked at a 1 ltr) it should have a connecter on the front with space for four wires, but only three fitted, the bottom left is missing, thats where the signal wire goes.

but even if you do go down the nova six dial clockset, your still going to have to put some extra wiring in for certain clocks

good luck with it buddy,

Leeboo
10-02-08, 12:38 PM
mowgli - Haha now you know how old these gauges are! lol Yes I was going to buy GSi or SRi clocks but my uncle gave me these for nothing and the rev counter is quite retro, none of these big white faces with blue lights, so I want to see if it works.

novaSR-Ish - Thats a big help mate, I'm going to wire up the rev counter in the engine bay now just to see if it still works, I shall report back:thumb:

Cheers for the replies.

Leeboo
10-02-08, 02:58 PM
Ok I tried the rev counter earlier and to my amazement I got it to work straight away, the lights work etc. I just used speaker cable, but now I havent got enough cable or insulation tape to run it inside the car :wtf: So it will have to wait until tomorrow! So, thanks novaSR-Ish.

Any ideas on how the other gauges should be wired up? (I'm not very experienced with this stuff). Maybe the voltmeter? It just has a single wire coming from it.