PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Belt Jumping Off?

keelanj
09-02-08, 03:34 PM
I have just bought a 2l nova looks good all the bits "but" when i got it home the alternator / bottom pulley belt has turned over? Just had it at the garage, new belt & reset but by the time i had got it home it has turned over again?

Looking through previous threads about the bottom pulley being replaced with a single or machined pulley is this the problem? or somthing a little more drastic? the bottom pulley is JUST not running true (slight wobble) could it be a case of replacing this to cure it or????? Please advise

Cheers:(

General Baxter
09-02-08, 03:48 PM
its the chassis leg mod has not been done when the engine is 'floored' the alternator will hit the leg, thus bending the bracket ;)

keelanj
09-02-08, 04:17 PM
Cheers,

The chassis leg mod as in cutting out the area next to the alternator pulley? It has been cut out & a plate snot welded back in, the clearence between the chassis & the pulley is only a few mm. Looks like a proper mod is required (lucky my Dad is a welder) This should sort it then?

What clearence is required?

Has anyone completed this by just removing the alternator or is it engine out?

Just had a closer look at the area by the top pulley & a bit of weld has a slight rub on it.

Also when we reved the engine hard (stationary)the belt also turned - Could this be another problem?

Many Thanks for the prompt reply General!

Adam
09-02-08, 04:19 PM
Is the belt tight enough?

If the belt turns when just revving the engine, it wont be anything do with the chassis mod as the engine wont really move when theres no load on it.

keelanj
09-02-08, 04:43 PM
Just to add on to thread.....only seems to rub when I turn left??

Welsh Dan
09-02-08, 04:58 PM
When you turn left, the engine moves right in the bay...

keelanj
16-02-08, 09:38 PM
Had the alternator of today, now i can see where the belt has been rubbing on the chassis (Cheers Genaral) - ground down the weld etc the best i could with the engine in & welded the hole, ran well for a bit no rubbing but the belt has turned again afeter a bit of caning!

Doesnt rub as much now when the belt turned but looking like the engine is coming out & a proper job to be done. How much clearence is really needed for the top pulley to the chassis? Where its rubbing is direcly there the main support is to the lower chassis?

Chris Astley also advised that the alternator mount bush may have worn (which it has, cheers for that) but the bush i bought was the lower mounting bush not the top so i will also have to change that. Track Day at Outlon Park next weekend so i will have to suffer changing belts!