PDA

View Full Version : How to get an cheap LSD

Edwin
05-02-08, 11:34 PM
Hello you all,

because i want to help my fellow members i have a tip for all who want get an LSD but not want to pay lots of money for it! The story bellow is only for the people who use an F16 or F20 gearbox.

What you need, is to find the last series of the first type Omega caravan 2.4i In the last 6 months of it's production opel/vauxhall fitted these models with an factory 25% LSD. If you are lucky the label with the text "only special oil" or "nur special ?l" will still be hanging on the diffhousing.
The inner cv joints from this Omega are exact the same as those used on the F20!! If you found it and take it out you can udjust the amount of slip! This is done by using other sizes of shims! This way you can easly bring it up to max 80 to 90%. These % is way to high for the frontwheel driven cars and therfor only used by manta's etc. However, an 40% LSD on an nova is very, very nice! Ones you have set to the right amount of slip you can built it in to your gearbox easly, because it an direct fit!

This is the reason why i drive Opel!! take the parts from different models, shake it a bit, and you have an cheap race carlol

novacabrio
05-02-08, 11:50 PM
excellent, Im guessing, butfirst type of Omega is our Carlton?

Dar
05-02-08, 11:51 PM
Nice :D
I will be keeping my eyes open for one of these. Always useful to have a few spares.

novacabrio
05-02-08, 11:54 PM
If it is Carltons he is refering to I know a very very big Carlton breakers, and he is a good friend of the family lol

Edwin
06-02-08, 12:30 AM
I believe that vauxhall sold it under the carlton. It is easy to open up the diff if it's still mounted under the carlton. Ones opened you can see if there is an LSD mounted in it! I you are clever! you will never ask for an "carlton LSD"!! Because it will cost you!! Just ask if you can have a look at an carlton caravan diff. If you find one, close it again and then tell them that you found a perfect normal diff. For example, I paid just 25 euro's for an diff because they believed it was "just" a diff!

belly257
06-02-08, 01:32 AM
by caravan u mean estate?

Stanley
06-02-08, 01:38 AM
Vauxhall Carlton Estate 2.4 (C24NE) If i translate correctly...:)

andy_srt40
06-02-08, 08:33 AM
the throttle body off these is also listed as an irmsher upgrade for the nova gte/gsi at vaux

craig green
06-02-08, 10:07 AM
the throttle body off these is also listed as an irmsher upgrade for the nova gte/gsi at vaux

What I was going to ask. Is there anyone that can look out for a TB off a 2.4 CIH lump at this 'Carlton breakers'?

chimp007_uk
06-02-08, 11:48 AM
i want that tb for my manta as well... all i can seem to find is the 2litre ones :(

i'm just wondering if the diff will fit the manta axle ?!?

andy_srt40
06-02-08, 12:02 PM
is the tb on a 2.3 carlton the same? i can gind loads of those on ebay for new to nowt :(

chimp007_uk
06-02-08, 12:03 PM
its a 2.4 cih engine, i run the 2.0 cih engine in my manta

andy_srt40
06-02-08, 12:20 PM
oops my mistake i've been looking at the 30ne one

Edwin
06-02-08, 06:35 PM
You only have to get the LSD it self! It will also fit in the manta diff. Several manta's are already fitted over here for slalom use. The transaltion is indeed right! you have to find a carlton estate with an 2.4CIH engine from before the face lift.

Edwin
06-02-08, 10:33 PM
i want that tb for my manta as well... all i can seem to find is the 2litre ones :(

i'm just wondering if the diff will fit the manta axle ?!?
What you need for your manta, is an intake manifold of a 3.0E!! Just shorten it by cutting away the last two cilinder connections and ask a welder to weld the back end,to close it again. It's an easy job and gives you lots of fun. What you also could do, is buy an 2.4CIH and replace the cilinderhead with one of a 2.0CIH. and bild the engine in to your manta.

I haven't only been driving nova'slollollol

mowgli
06-02-08, 10:38 PM
is the 2.4 cih used in some of the fronteras????

Edwin
06-02-08, 10:41 PM
is the 2.4 cih used in some of the fronteras????

i belief so.yes if it's the 8valve

mikey14sr
06-02-08, 10:44 PM
The 2.4 in frontera's is a four pot, the carlton/omega 'A' 2.4 is a great big cast iron straight six.

Edwin
06-02-08, 10:50 PM
The 2.4 in frontera's is a four pot, the carlton/omega 'A' 2.4 is a great big cast iron straight six.

Nope!! The 2.4CIH is a 4-cilinder! Only the 2.6, 2.8 an the 3.0 are 6 cilinders

just vaux trev
06-02-08, 10:50 PM
any pics of the lsd never been into gearbox mods gotta start somewhere

chimp007_uk
06-02-08, 11:04 PM
yeh, the 2.4cih frontera's are 4 pot. i have been looking for a 2.4 lump. but when they pop up on the manta forum they gor for a fair bit because the 400's were fitted with the 2.4, so everyone wants them.

and i will have to look out for a carlton for the diff, the only ones i find are 2litre cih or 2litre ne. although, i'm in no rush, i welded it :) it'll do for the time being, i miss fwd for the handling, but rwd is such fun, you dont need to drive it hard.

Edwin
06-02-08, 11:20 PM
You will need a workshop manuel. To fit it, is simple. take out the driveshafts, drain the oil. remove the oilpan of the diff housing. on the side of the short driveshaft, there is a tooth like ring fitted. this is for adjusting the play on the diff bearings. unscrew it an the diff will fall out of the housing. the lsd is mounted on the crown wheel with a number of bolts. replace the old diff with the LSD. do not forget to use locktite on the bolt when re-mounting. Place the crown wheel back in to the diff housing and adjust the play with the (thooth shapped ring) if you want to do it perfect you will need the workshop manuel to find out the right amount of tension you have to give to the diff bearings.

i haven't any pictures of it, but soon i am going to try to fit it in to a F13

Goodluck

Edwin
06-02-08, 11:27 PM
yeh, the 2.4cih frontera's are 4 pot. i have been looking for a 2.4 lump. but when they pop up on the manta forum they gor for a fair bit because the 400's were fitted with the 2.4, so everyone wants them.

and i will have to look out for a carlton for the diff, the only ones i find are 2litre cih or 2litre ne. although, i'm in no rush, i welded it :) it'll do for the time being, i miss fwd for the handling, but rwd is such fun, you dont need to drive it hard.
A friend of mine is living in Bicester. that's aprox 10miles above oxford. he ahs loads of manta stuff that he want's to sell!! He also has an rally manta with an XE in it! I rebuilt the engine about 6jrs ago. since then it only has done about 1000 miles. If you want i can get you in toutch with him

chimp007_uk
06-02-08, 11:49 PM
that would be great!! my email is chimp007_uk@hotmail.com :)

andy_srt40
07-02-08, 07:46 AM
I must admit i never looked out for one of these in ebay but i'm glad id did :D

http://search.ebay.co.uk/FRONTERA-2-4_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQdfspZ32QQfromZR40QQfsooZ2QQfsop Z32QQlredZFRONTERAQ202Q2e4QQsatitleZFRONTERAQ202Q2 e4

Edwin
07-02-08, 09:04 AM
If your lucky, it might be fitted with an LSD! but you wil have to take out te inner cv joint to count the splines.(teeth)

andy_srt40
07-02-08, 11:35 AM
i was looking for the throttle body, i have a small block so an lsd is a bit overkill for what i want

good gen though :thumb:

Stuart
07-02-08, 11:52 AM
a FWD big block gearbox diff will not fit into the F13 unles syou grind the life out of it... at which point the hassle vs simply buying the right part in the first palce becomes a no brainer.

also dont think a FWD diff will go in a RWD housing either...

assuming they made any FWD carltons?

chimp007_uk
07-02-08, 12:31 PM
carltons are all rwd

Stuart
07-02-08, 12:33 PM
so how the hell is a RWD diff going to fit in a FWD F13/F20 etc..... lol

chimp007_uk
07-02-08, 12:37 PM
i dunno, i was thinking more for my manta... replace the welded diff thats currently in it

andy_srt40
07-02-08, 01:16 PM
i didn't meant his particular diff in the f13 as i know it won't fit!

i just meant an lsd in general was not what i needed for my wheezy smallblock lol

Edwin
07-02-08, 02:46 PM
so how the hell is a RWD diff going to fit in a FWD F13/F20 etc..... lol

First! read the topic, before you make an opinion! I am NOT speaking about Replacing the complete Diff!! If you read it well!! I am talking about replacing the salelite housing for that of a LSD version!! I can assure you, that this has been tried and tested!! On nova's aswell on Manta's.

Stuart
07-02-08, 03:30 PM
I read it all well. No where in the thread do you mention "satelitte" housings etc.

you roughly mention using the "contents" fo the LSD... ie the actual diff with no crownwheel. But they arent the same between F10/13, F16/20, RWD diffs (otherwise quaife would only need to list one ATB for use in all boxes)

but to make peoples lives easier searching for the diffs, the omega from 1995ish had models with an LSD too.... Once ive seen the job done by someone I'll belive it.

alan b
07-02-08, 05:47 PM
ive tried fitting an omega diff into a manta, they dont fit. diff splines and there waaay bigger.