PDA

View Full Version : fueling problems

let_nova
05-02-08, 10:12 PM
had a feul leak in the pipe from the pump to the filter so i changed it. but when it runs its ok but if i leave it for a while (eg a couple of hours or over night.) it wont start turns over a few times then reluctantly fires up.. thanks.

andy_srt40
06-02-08, 10:38 AM
sounds like the pump is not priming before the ignition fires it up, can you hear the pump when the ignition first turns on? have you tried turning the igintion on then leaving it for a few seconds to fill the lines?

another reason could be fuel draining back down the lines when left for a long time.

you could try the first fix above, and if that doesn;t work try a one way valve in the line to stop it draining

other than that it could be a dodgy fuel pump relay or a goosed pump

andy

craig green
06-02-08, 10:41 AM
No mention of car type, engine etc.

Carb. Injection?

andy_srt40
06-02-08, 10:42 AM
i took it as an XE'd nova judging by his user info at the side

craig green
06-02-08, 10:46 AM
LOL. Me using a minmised window.

XE pumps dont prime with ign like a GTE engine does. It uses a signal from the crank sensor to prime the pump. Thats a good 1st call for a poor starting XE. Or fuel pump relay which would have different symptoms tbh.

andy_srt40
06-02-08, 10:50 AM
lol good point

check the cranks sensor then, i have one somewehere if you want to swap and check?

let_nova
06-02-08, 07:01 PM
hi thanks for the reply. i will check the pump but as this only started happening soon as i fitted the new pipe . . . me :confused:

let_nova
06-02-08, 10:04 PM
had another go there am i right in thinking that the fuel bleed on the fuel rail if pushed in should squirt fuel out when engine turned over? p.s its a xe

mikey14sr
06-02-08, 10:27 PM
Should squirt if there's pressure in the rail, for gods sake don't let it spray out whilst cranking, if it gets onto a dodgy ignition lead it could set light......

let_nova
06-02-08, 10:30 PM
yeah thought that. had a fire ext. pushed the pin in and got the engine turned over but no fuel. . . possibly pump?

mikey14sr
06-02-08, 10:35 PM
Fuel pumps usually get quite noisy for a bit before they give up, I'd try the relay or the crank sensor as explained earlier.

let_nova
06-02-08, 10:38 PM
right ok thanks i will try that tommorow after work and see how it goes.

let_nova
07-02-08, 08:26 PM
rite i had a go tonight the relay seems to click when the ignition is turned on. so might not be that. and couldnt find my small socket set to take the pump out. think it could be the pump.