PDA

View Full Version : Heater/small Fire

GTE999
05-02-08, 05:12 PM
Guys

had a small problem the other day. My heater has been making a whining noise for a while especially when on the first and second setting. Normally to cure this i turn it on fully and it eventually stops.

When i was on the M way the other day i turned it to full and then i smelt smoke and then saw smoke coming from behind the dash. I tried to turn the heater off but the switch was stuck on the full setting and wouldnt move. Then the heater stopped. Ive since removed the facia and found the actual switch connection melted and also the connector to the wiring. Im pretty sure it will be easy to source another switch but to get to my question!! How do i fit another connector as it appears to be full of wires which then disappear behind the dash? will i have to cut and then connect the new wires? Also, is it fair to say that the actual heater is now buggered and would i be better of buying a new/used heater unit?

cheers
craig.

Welsh Dan
05-02-08, 05:41 PM
Buy a new heaterblower, buy a new switch+connector, check your fuses (should have blown!!), and crimp the wires off the replacement connector onto the car wires.

its probably worth taking the dash off to check that none of the insulation on the wires has melted elsewhere.

meritlover
05-02-08, 05:44 PM
yes and also check the resistors are not melted and smelly

novaowner999
05-02-08, 05:46 PM
ive got the same noise problem

novaowner999
05-02-08, 05:49 PM
whats more annoying is u can hear it from outside!

mikey14sr
05-02-08, 06:49 PM
Whining/sqeaking from the heater blower motor is usually a sign that the bearings have had it and therefore it's time to replace it. Sounds like yours has overloaded the wiring instead of blowing the fuse like it should have.

Do what welsh dan has said, and make sure the right fuse is fitted.

GTE999
06-02-08, 11:28 PM
thanks guys ill give it a try and let yous know how i get on!

meritlover
07-02-08, 09:21 AM
if your fan is squeek. try removing the plastic fan cover and squirting a 3in1 oil on the blower bushes on the motor. it is also a nice time to remove all the leaves and mice that gather in that space.