PDA

View Full Version : Rear Speakers

pickle2000
23-07-02, 05:56 PM
Alright, I am hoping that someone can help me with my current dilemma.

I have got a Mk1 1.2 Nova merit and the sound system is total poo. The only speakers that are in the car at the moment are the front speakers (10cm under dash, changed to some Pioneer ones when I put in a Mk2 dash), and as you can imagine the sound from them is far from good.

I need to add some instant volume and definition to the sound, so I am going to put some speakers in the back in a new parcel shelf. I have found some nice speakers which I think should improve the sound quality in my car dramatically, but I am unsure which ones to get. If you take a look at this page then you will see the speakers that I am considering http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/shop/acatalog/CAD_Full_Range_Speakers_132.html
They are the 8" and 10", 2/3 way speakers towards the bottom...... which one of these would be best. My current head unit is a sony tape unit with 4x35w and I need to rig the speakers directly to this at the moment due to lack of funds. In the future I will probably get an amp, so the speakers need to sound good straight off the head unit, aswell as an amp.
I am not sure which ones will be capable of being powered directly from my headunit?
Is it best to get the biggest ones with the most watts?
Is 2-way or 3-way better?
I am not concerned about the price, since they are all under ?100 anyway.....

If anyone can give me any advise on what speakers they would recommend then I am all ears.........

Cheers in advance

Stuart
23-07-02, 07:17 PM
firstly i must sypathise with you for living in roystdump as i am also condemed there at the mo lol

dotn put round speakers in the shelf. get some decent 6x9's many good onse for under ?100, sony ones arent looking too bad again after a crap couple of years :)

er and no i dont go out and sit in the town hall car park or whats left of the cinema one :p lol

ade
24-07-02, 12:13 AM
I had a similar head unit with low output and ran poineer 180w 6x9's off of it (still am) only copst ?80 from halfords - used to have standard speakers in the front.

sound v good - nice a bassey - had them 2 yrs.

Just upgraded to infinity 6x9 300w, dragster amp and kenwood 140w for front footwells. Unfortunately due to playing v loud bassey music, one of the pioneers has blown (crackles at low bass).

Ade

pickle2000
24-07-02, 10:48 AM
hahaha........ Royston isn't that bad - only lived there for a few weeks now and it appears to be alright.........

I thought that it would make a bit of a change to have round speakers in the shelf instead of 6x9's....... because that is what every man and his dog does.......
Will they sound really bad in the shelf?....... even if they are 3-way?
They should be as bassy as 6x9's....... shouldn't they?

But it is fine to run, say, 300w speakers directly off the head unit?

Cheers
pickle

JonL
24-07-02, 11:00 AM
There is a reason why everybody has them, its cos they are cheap and effective, if you wanted the same sound reproduction from round speakers you would need to invest alot more.

If i was you i'd go for some sony 3 way (or even 4 way) 6x 9's. They will be much better for what you want them for. They will give you a full range of music (highs, midrange and bass) and will be loud as they are designed to be put in a back shelf and work well in 'free air' positions. As these are sonys they will integrate much better with you head unit giving you the best sound.

I'd go for these:
Sony XS-F6942

http://www.caraudiodirect.com/shop/acatalog/CAD_Full_Range_Speakers_270.html

Your head unit will have no trouble driving these, plus you have to remember that 200watt is peak and not rms, rms value will be alot lower.

HTH

Jon

Ben (lurk75)
24-07-02, 12:19 PM
why not try some JBL 6x9s? they make some very good speakers, but at the end of the day they will get nicked!

ade
24-07-02, 11:58 PM
unless you build a stealth shelf...

8)

pickle2000
25-07-02, 08:42 AM
I am definately gonna put a stealth style shelf in, don't want anything on show for some spotty teenager to come over and rob........ :)

Alright, cheers for all your help guys....... from what I can gather round speakers in the parcel shelf are gonna sound cack. So my best option at the moment is to get some decent 6x9's in there and rig them straight up to my headunit for the time being before I get an amp....?

Thanks lads
Pickle

Stuart
26-07-02, 11:07 PM
DONT GET JBL! IMHO they are shitte

and trust me after a few more weeks you'll realise royston is v shitte too lol ahh well make the best of it you can. bassingbourn garage is good work on yer car if your lazy, and very good mot'ers too (not dodgy, they jsut accept the fact that old cars arent new standard). for parts BAS is v good.

pickle2000
29-07-02, 10:18 AM
Alright there cambridge, I will steer away from JBL...... probably get some Sony or Pioneer 6x9's........

The garage in Bassingbourn - what sort of work do they do (body work, ICE, etc...??)........... have you had work done by them before?
Not sure where it is but I don't think that bassingbourn is that big so it shouldn't be too hard to find - is it called "Bassingbourn garage"....?

rudi
29-07-02, 01:44 PM
Hi Mate,

Just thought i'd chip in and say go get the sony's.. i've just put a pair of Sony Xplod 6*9's in the stadard MK1 shelf and they kick ass !!!! and only 39.99 from argos ... can't go far wrong! I'm running them of a 75W RMS per channel amp and they sound sweet as .. good bass, great mid and not bad tweeters either!

Later

Rudi!

pickle2000
30-07-02, 11:24 AM
Sorry to bring up the same topic again, but............... I was reading through Total Vauxhall last night (the one with the green astra on the front) and noticed that they were highlighting the Pioneer round speakers in there news section (somewhere near the back, can't remember exactly where and haven't got the mag on me), as alternatives to 6x9's. Are they talking cr4p and just advertising a new range of speakers or do they know something about ICE.....??

dErZ1
30-07-02, 12:16 PM
DONT GET JBL! IMHO they are s**t

How can you say that, I've just finished building my stealth shelf (and I must say its the bollox) and I've got JBL GTo935es they cost ?80 and they give a good range of sounds. I run them from my Kenwood mask and they sound brill.

Halfords is this best place to buy speakers as you can test them all.. Sony, JBL all much of a muchness unless you are willing to spend ??????

rudi
30-07-02, 02:14 PM
I can't say i've heard a decent pair of pioneer speakers yet..... their 6*9's sound tinny as shit so god knows what their smaller speakers must sound like...... and i agree with the guy above.... JBL's are not shite speakers.. they have a wicked sound.... but if your playing hardcore house or some other shite like that through them then no.. they won't sound good cause they're designed for real music which covers the entire sound spectrum and are not designed for just shit loads of bass and treble !!

Ok.. i'll take my..."I hate house/garage/D&B" hat off now :twisted: [/i]

Stuart
30-07-02, 06:30 PM
i had a set of jbl 6x9's gtII's wet and farty sounding lol

as for bassingbourn garage they are jsut a garage, they do garagey things not ice and shitte like that