PDA

View Full Version : bottom arm joint play

blackpoolbouncer
04-02-08, 12:15 AM
hi there, recently noticed that where the bottom arm ball joint fixes into the hub there is a lot of play between the two(not the ball joint) there is a lot of play in between where the pin goes into the hub as if the pin is too small for the hole,replaced the ball joint due to the ball joint being screwed so before anyone says it it isnt the ball joints had it.any ideas?
iirc it has had 2.0 brakes fitted to it when it went under its first transition from 1.0- 1.6 gsi conversion possibly something to do with this,do you have to buy 2.0 ball joints?

craig green
04-02-08, 09:28 AM
Std Nova ball joints are required.

Sounds like you have been given the wrong items maybe?

Dar
04-02-08, 09:40 AM
Try doing up the bolt that secures the ball joint to the hub up a bit more. But to be honest they are quite a snug fit anyway (I hope the bolts in there). Other than that I agree with Craig , maybe the wrong item.

It's nothing to do with 2l brakes since you only replace the caliper & disc.

blackpoolbouncer
04-02-08, 06:08 PM
thanks for the replys guys,the bolts that tighten up to grab the pin in the hub are about as tight as they will go without shearing them.
are there any other models that use very very similar bottom arm ball joints (tigra etc) because these ball joints (to the eye) appear to be identical to the std ones its just the shaft that fits into the hub is maybe 1mill too small diameter wise if you will

Edwin
04-02-08, 08:50 PM
it's time for a new/other hub!

Dar
04-02-08, 08:54 PM
If its just one side that's doing it you could jack up the front end and swap the bottom ball joints. If the fault stays on the same side then the hub is at fault. But if the fault goes to the other side you know its the ball joint.

meritlover
05-02-08, 11:43 AM
a balljoint is all of a few pounds. try a new one in it or test the one from the other side as Mr Dar suggestifies.

merci!!

blackpoolbouncer
05-02-08, 03:38 PM
there brand new ones,only done about 25 miles on them
its almost as if there the wrong ones for the job but to the eye they look identical

meritlover
05-02-08, 04:16 PM
its almost as if there the wrong ones for the job

perhaps they are.

it may take an investigation with a caliper or a ruler to discover only the true dimensions of the taper. please check to be safer.

belly257
05-02-08, 04:29 PM
quite hard to get standard nova ball joints i found maybe youve been given corsa ones?

blackpoolbouncer
05-02-08, 06:24 PM
i rang up EK's and they got them out to me the same day,if they are of a corsa then there almost identcal to nova ones,does anyone have a corsa for reference?what do your ball joints look like?

mikey14sr
05-02-08, 06:45 PM
Have you inspected the tapered hole in the hub for ovality/wear? I've had to replace the odd hub over the years from people previously not tightening the pinch bolt enough leaving the ball joint to move around in the hub causing wear of the hole (mainly on french hatches for some reason).

blackpoolbouncer
06-02-08, 10:06 AM
many thanks people for the input,if someone happens to know the diameter of the taper that fits into the hub this would be great then i can eliminate either the hub or the ball joint,i think the problem lies with the ball joint due to having this problem on both sides