PDA

View Full Version : let rebuild?

ReeceH
03-02-08, 11:50 PM
after breaking the sump on my let and running with no oil.
im wanting to know what to replace to make sure its gonna be ok?

i got a new sump and started it up and the engine wasnt knocking and it did run, but after 5 minutes up the road the oil light flashed again so i dont want to take any chances so whats gonna need replaced?

i also have an xe motor sitting doing nothing, should i just use that? and what would need changed? just pistons?
cheers

craig green
04-02-08, 09:32 AM
A rebuild will consist of a reground crank, new shells, rebore & hone with new piston rings, new big end shells on the conrods. Likely the oil pump is damaged so replace that with a Z-LET one as they are a higher flow.
This can all be performed on the XE block assuming you use the pistons & rods from the LET. Just find the turbo oil return which is blanked on the XE block.

Get the turbo checked & likewise the cams etc due to the oil starvation.

Will F
04-02-08, 10:28 AM
You may be lucky... if there was no horrible noises when you fired it with th enew sump, you may have just damaged the oil pick up pipe or it could be blocked when the sump came off?

meritlover
04-02-08, 11:21 AM
without the knowings of how long/hard it was drived with no oil it depends how bad it will be.

if its knocking, at least there will be wiped big ends/maybe mains/thrust collar journals. crank may be ok if you are lucky. oil pump will be tired after lifiting all the filings of whitemetals. bores may be ok too. its of unknown quantity until the engine is stripped and the bearing caps are removed.
as mr green says. a full rebuild is worth doing if the engine is getting this much work anyway.