PDA

View Full Version : Ritting Drained Tappets?

jord4n
03-02-08, 11:36 AM
im building up a engine and have left the hydraulic valve lifters in order on the bench and didnt put them in oil as it says in the hynes manual.

is thay anything i should do befor refitting them now?

jordan

mowgli
03-02-08, 11:40 AM
you can strip & clean them. simply clamp the top down & pry the small locking ring off then undo the clamp. the spring & bits will come apart easily. Clean them with a decent chemical & not with an abrasive. when you rebuild them put a bit of engine oil inside before you put the spring in. it will be a bit messy.

jord4n
03-02-08, 11:43 AM
i dont think thay need cleaning up inside tbh, is thay anyway of just filling them up.

submerging in oil and compressing?

mowgli
03-02-08, 11:48 AM
they will be full of old oil & crap. you can pump them but you've just spent time & money getting it rebuilt.

Adam
03-02-08, 11:48 AM
It really is worthwhile cleaning them.
Takes no time at all.

Or put them in some oil and give them a few squeezes, should be ok if they weren't tappy when you removed them.

jord4n
03-02-08, 11:53 AM
ok i guess its worthwhile, as iv laped the valves.

it wasnt tappy at all. its a very nice engine.

i thourght most of the taps come from the valves themself hitting seats anyway.

Adam
03-02-08, 11:55 AM
Tapping usually comes from the lifters not taking up the clearence in the valve train as the cam opens/closes the valves.

meritlover
03-02-08, 04:21 PM
i put them in my ultrasonic bath and flushed the lostened debris out with wd40. then refilled them from my oil can. they look like new now!!
failing that, take them to bits and clean them. its not the end of the world if they need filled. the engine will just sound noisy for the first few seconds of runnings

mikey14sr
03-02-08, 05:31 PM
Last time I cleaned a set I used some 1500 wet 'n' dry with wd40 sprayed on to remove the tarnishing. re-assembled and left to soak in an SMA tin full of fresh oil for a week before fitting. Never had any noise from them in two years.

mowgli
03-02-08, 06:38 PM
I always use mr muscle oven cleaner to blast engine components. baked on oil & baked on fat are very similar, followed by a trip to the dishwasher(but only when the gaffer is on nights)