PDA

View Full Version : Callin all boffins

dErZ1
23-07-02, 08:43 AM
:D My poor little car is leaking oil :oops:

Is it difficult to change the rocker cover gasket?

I've got a 1.4sr

nathanl
23-07-02, 11:01 AM
Apparently it is easy, just undo the bolts and put a new gasket on, don't do them too tight though or you will spread the gasket, mine needs doing as well :evil:

carltoncrazy
23-07-02, 11:11 AM
easy as abc,just undo bolts put new one on,
but dont over tighten as ur be drilling out old bolts 4eva.
jus take ya time and dont thrash the engine after,jus let it settle in

Alex
23-07-02, 11:38 AM
Try to get a rubber seal as a cork one will need replacing a lot quicker. Also like what has been said don't overtighten the bolts. Mine were a bastard to get out when one of mine snapped off

dErZ1
23-07-02, 02:36 PM
Thanx for the help, what should I do about the old gasket, I'm sure it wont just come off in one go, does it matter if any goes in the engine? is anything going to spring out when I take the rocker cover off?

Stuart
23-07-02, 04:11 PM
when you remove to cover make sure the engine is running, just to make sure you dont touch anything lol :D

try not to let any of the old gasket fall into the engine. use a blunt scraper to get the old off.

ade
23-07-02, 10:58 PM
to do mine too! got a rubberised one from vauxhall for ?5.00!

Bought nw bolts for less than ?1.00 from them also - just mak e sure when fitting and tightening you do them diagonally from each other - e.glosely tighten end oe on top, then second one in on bottom, then top 3rd one, then bottom 4th, then the others. Spreads the pressure evenly.

Ade

carltoncrazy
23-07-02, 11:19 PM
jus take ya time really,use ya head,dont rush or bodge anything,if ya snap the new one get anther one,if ya cant get the old one off in one then done let ne get in the engine,
last time i did mine was went the engine was in bits so it didnt matter,
jus tip it upside down,but i dought ya stonf enuf to turn ya car upside down and shack,hehehehehehehehe