PDA

View Full Version : steering boss removal

LUV2XLR8
02-02-08, 03:25 PM
as above ive been trying to remove the steering wheel as i put it on a tad squint! :wtf:
ive tried shocking it with a socket and shaking it also, but no joy.
any other ideas?
(its a sparco aftermarket steering wheel and a momo boss)

meritlover
02-02-08, 04:31 PM
MR XLR8 i do not fully understand the question. can you not get the nut off, or can you not get the boss off the taper?

craig green
02-02-08, 04:51 PM
Remove the column from the car & sit the boss on open vice jaws, tap the column through.

LUV2XLR8
02-02-08, 04:58 PM
ah i see, yes the nut comes off, looks like its the vice for the old boy again :S was ment to be out on a rally tonight, doesnt look to preosin yet lol ;)

mowgli
03-02-08, 11:45 AM
HOW MANY TIMES DO I NEED TO POST THIS ANSWER?????

If using a puller won't work, the rough method is the 'pull on the wheel like hell & get a mate to hit the top of the column' I would never recommend this as columns are designed to deform.

The final method is as follows & it does work:-

boil a kettle. wrap some towels/rags round the boss. pour some boiling water on the top of the threads. the Aluminium boss will expand quicker than the steel column & will come loose. & next time smear some vaseline on the splines.

LUV2XLR8
03-02-08, 01:32 PM
excellent, il be trying the heat methhod in a bit

LUV2XLR8
03-02-08, 04:56 PM
got it done, just loosend the nut, and then put a smaller socket on it and shocked it a few times with a hammer ;)

mowgli
03-02-08, 06:40 PM
got it done, just loosend the nut, and then put a smaller socket on it and shocked it a few times with a hammer ;)

What do you mean by shocked it? if you mean whacked it, you may have damaged the column tube which is designed to collapse under impact. be careful, the steering is the most important bit of the car.....

srdan
10-02-08, 01:32 PM
hot water trick didnt work for me :(... do u still need to give the steering wheel a good old tug?

meritlover
10-02-08, 01:54 PM
What do you mean by shocked it? if you mean whacked it, you may have damaged the column tube which is designed to collapse under impact. be careful, the steering is the most important bit of the car.....

i think he meant jumping up at it and scaring it.

unlikely the collapseable mesh will have been deformed its pretty resiliant to shock from a hammer. different when its a 70Kg humn hitting it at 60+MPH tho.

i wouldnt worry about it any more than you would hitting the horn hard when you're annoyed

Philsutton
10-02-08, 01:57 PM

only if you dont support the back of it, same as doing it how craig suggest but to do it on the car just put your knees behide the wheel an hit the nut.

mowgli
10-02-08, 04:27 PM
only if you dont support the back of it, same as doing it how craig suggest but to do it on the car just put your knees behide the wheel an hit the nut.

I never condone advising that method in case someone cocks it up, but I've seen it done a few times.

Philsutton
10-02-08, 04:31 PM
ive done it hundreds of times and never had a problem, however I have seen someone smash the **** out of it and collapse it even when I had showed them how to do it. Twice.

meritlover
10-02-08, 04:42 PM
it is easier to make a puller and do the job the properly way.

Philsutton
10-02-08, 04:52 PM
depends really, take me 5-10 seconds to get a wheel off thats less time an effort than is needed to make a puller. But if not done before it might be better to go that route.

meritlover
10-02-08, 05:01 PM
yes Mr Sutton, you may have been lucky, but i dont want anyone to violate their nuts/threads by hitting them hard. its like i always say
" a job done properly is good and a lot better than doing it quickly and badly."