PDA

View Full Version : starting problem??

greg1.4
01-02-08, 05:57 PM
i ****ing hate cars! when the dont work..lol

anyway, my 1300 sr is not starting. i had been rmessing around in the car for 20mins just driving around then parked her up..i was just locking garage up and it was too close the door so i jumped in the car to move it back and it wouldnt start.

the dash etc lights up fine, the lights work, the heaters work but when i go to start it it doesnt want to turn over.

i have had this problem with it not long ago and it was the starter motor. i have an earth from chassis to gearbox, earth from neg battery terminal onto bulkhead, earth from the starter mounting bolts to the neg terminal on battery i think..:roll:

is there any more i have missed?i have tried jump leads from engine onto chassis and still the same..

if it is the starter why does it keep frying them??

and yes the battery has 12volts..its ok!

RSTChris
01-02-08, 06:06 PM
Is it even clicking when trying to start?

greg1.4
01-02-08, 06:07 PM
no..its trying to turn over but just dies..

greg1.4
01-02-08, 06:43 PM
anyone? going to try fix tonight if possible!

clarke frazer
01-02-08, 06:52 PM
Have You Tried Bumping It If Not Check That All Wires Are On The Starter Etc

greg1.4
01-02-08, 06:55 PM
yes all wires are on..

not tried bumping as it will probs go..thats no good though..i want it to start from the key.

cheers

Steve
01-02-08, 07:24 PM
I had the same pronlem with my old 1.3 sr, I bought a new starter motor, which turned out to be a dud, and sometimes it would turn over but most times I had the same problem you had.

If all the connections are there/ good maybe get the starter checked or replaced, the 2nd one I got (diffrent make this time) was fine after.

greg1.4
01-02-08, 07:29 PM
i am going to stick another starter on it..but this will be the third starter..its hardly ever used either!

greg1.4
01-02-08, 07:32 PM
can someone tell me all the earth points/wires on a 1300 sr..

i have a wire from neg on battery to bulkhead and a wire from there to the starter motor mounting bolt..

i also have a earth strap from gearbox to chassis..

if the earth from the gearbox to chassis had broke would this cause the starter to break?

Steve
01-02-08, 07:34 PM
Possibly, before you change the starter it might be an idea to just clean up all the connections and earts to see it that makes a diffrence. probably wont, but its just another thing to rule out.

greg1.4
01-02-08, 07:38 PM
ok will do..

i fitted the 1300 sr engine so i am wondering if i have missed an earth somewhere..

anyone know all the earth's just to make sure i have got them..

am i right in having an earth from battery to bulkhead aswell as battery to starter..

aswrally
01-02-08, 07:41 PM
put a jump lead from battery neg to somewhere on engine block then try it
if it starts the earth from gearbox to chassis is shafted !!!!