PDA

View Full Version : any tips on taking door glass out

just vaux trev
01-02-08, 02:08 PM
as above folks never took door glass out before also doing gsi door glass surrounds so any tips on not bending it any help/tips please:thumb:

Jack
01-02-08, 02:31 PM
iirc you have to wind the main window down and remove the rubbers around it, undo the screws that hold the centre spar in and remove it, then remove the quarter glass. Wind the window back up and tip it, with a bit of jiggery pokery the arm should come off the slider and you can pull the window up and free.

Obviously remove the door card to get at the base of the support spar and window arm etc.

As for fitting the metal surrounds, they should go on easily with a bit of care. Its taking them off that tends to bend them (so make sure you line them up properly before pushing into place!)

meritlover
01-02-08, 04:54 PM
do not drop it to smash ;)

mikey14sr
01-02-08, 06:44 PM
Make sure you fit the matching rubbers to go with the trim pieces on the doors, some one had put a merit rubber on my drivers side quarterlight at some point and when I got it, the rubber sat over the top of the trim and let lots of water in as a result. A quick trim with stanley sorted it out until I got the right rubber.

bola
01-02-08, 10:43 PM
follow the haynes manual its easy, thats how i did mine, putting them back in is a barstool though! I used a numberplate & hammer to take my surrounds off and a block of wood and a hammer to put them back on.

just vaux trev
01-02-08, 10:50 PM
i striped my sri the other day and did'nt realise that the sri windows were tinted the same as the gsi's untill i put the rear q's on the roof car being white, is it on all sri's or have these been put in,
thanks for tips i'll be having a go on sunday so i'll prob be asking again when something goes wrong the mrs packed my haynes in the loft as we're moving soon

mikey14sr
01-02-08, 11:27 PM
My SR had green tinted glass.....

Stoo
01-02-08, 11:41 PM
brick

mikey14sr
01-02-08, 11:55 PM
brick

Centre-punch, I know that works as I had to do it to the vectra after changing the battery in the keyfob then realising the boot lock was seized, and the key didn't fit the drivers door, lol.

Stoo
02-02-08, 12:09 AM
auto centre punch, corner, pop

t45_ste
02-02-08, 01:58 AM
auto centre punch, corner, pop

Or even a spark plug :D