PDA

View Full Version : Sunroofs

Jim
31-01-08, 09:02 AM
Did Vauxhall do an ordinary tilt only sunroof? I've got a tilt and slide one at the minute, but want to replace it. I've considered the options; weld in a metal sheet, carbon replacment panel, etc, but with the contour of the roof, I'd prefer to keep the glass in place (as it was designed to fit) but get rid of the sliding mechanism.

Thanks

Jim

Jack
31-01-08, 09:04 AM
Yes, both Mk1 and 2 came with a tilt only sunroof (my mk1 saloon has one, as does ash's old mk2 shell).

However, I believe they're a different size to the tilt and slide so you can't swap one for the other :(

db_1.2
31-01-08, 09:16 AM
I dont know if theyre a different size or not but i can that just tilt sunroofs do exist but if its anything like the one i had it will leak like f*ck!

Ernie
31-01-08, 09:53 AM
My mates gte (turned track car) he cut all the workings for the sunroof then had a piece of tinted perspect cut to fit the hole then sealed it in with a window rubber round it.

craig green
31-01-08, 10:25 AM
A piece of bonnet will have a good contour to suit.

Any tilt only roofs are souced elsewhere (webasto IIRC) & dealer fitted (tin opener through the roof). They are a totally different shape.

Jim
03-02-08, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the replys guys. Looks like I will have to try and fill the hole some other way. Polycarb or carbon looks like the best option.

Mike
03-02-08, 04:54 PM
Or a new roof skin from ebay.de :thumb:

Ste L
03-02-08, 04:58 PM
Or a new roof skin from ebay.de :thumb:

would be the best option, if your repaining the car anyway - only a few spot weld's to remove it, i think

Mike
03-02-08, 05:05 PM
i think

they a bastid to remove Ste lol more cutting then drilling out spot welds really. What you could do is use a roof skin to plate the existing sunroof hole up.

Just hack up a roof skin and MiG a peice of it into your existing roof skin like.

Ste L
03-02-08, 05:09 PM
they a bastid to remove Ste lol more cutting then drilling out spot welds really. What you could do is use a roof skin to plate the existing sunroof hole up.

Just hack up a roof skin and MiG a peice of it into your existing roof skin like.

meh, that's what you pay the bodyshop to do, when painting the car lol

chris gsi
03-02-08, 07:29 PM
i will be useing a sheet of metal from the side of a van and then sealing it and then riveting it down nice and cheap

Ash
03-02-08, 08:04 PM
Just an idea, the sunroof in my mk2 is a 'Solarport' or something. If its the same size you can have it and the fixings. Then just replace the glass with polycarb ;)

Jim
04-02-08, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the offer Ash, might take you up on that.

Not keen on replacing the roof skin. Ideally I didn't want a bodyshop to do too much to the car.

Will keep investigating.

Rick Draper
04-02-08, 04:31 PM
IIRC Dave Marshall had a nice solution to it. He cut the lip off the nova roof skin which is left when the sunroof was removed and then he used a window rubber and had a piece of clear perspex to fill the hole. Looked a neat solution.

Jim
04-02-08, 05:08 PM
I was just chatting to MC about a similar suggestion Rick. My only concern with that is the polycarb suddenly flying out, lol.

A roof vent is starting to enter my thoughts too...

Rick Draper
04-02-08, 05:52 PM
http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/car-talk/274917-nova-let-improvements-stage-2-a.html

There is the post. To combat it popping out i would fit 4 brackets (one at each corner) and countersink 4 screw holes into the perspex that would hold it tight inplace and stop it popping out.

chris gsi
04-02-08, 08:21 PM
i don't think it would pop out as it was a nightmare to fit and very secure

Jim
05-02-08, 08:13 AM
Cheers Rick.