PDA

View Full Version : Gear Knob - How too ........

Adam Moran
21-07-02, 03:14 PM
Come on then........ whats the bloody secret on getting the ugly looking thing off!!

It's living in a Nova 1.2i K Reg.

Cheers All

AJ - :roll:

MattyWoo
21-07-02, 05:07 PM
I read somewhere that it needs lots of pullin and twisting and it finally coming off, if that fails, cut it wiv a junior hacksaw!!

dave.gsi
21-07-02, 06:10 PM
just hacksaw it off, its a lot easier than pissin around for hours tryin to pull it off

locky
22-07-02, 12:09 AM
I agree, hacksaw, tried lots of things to get mine off, hacksaw worked best!

ade
22-07-02, 09:18 AM
yep - just cut down middle from top througjh. when you hit the metal rod, split the sides and peel like a banana! prob find someone glued it on specially if they had a stop lock.

Ade

Nova1.6
22-07-02, 12:57 PM
yeah right i had the same problem, all it takes is a lot of tugging, so tug tug and tug, wen i was doing it i had a mate with me, so we were both tugging but none of us could do it, so we tugged eachother and then eventualy it pop and came, we felt so good after that we had to have a little rest! :lol:

novatec
22-07-02, 01:37 PM
Just pull & twist! Do u have to get your mum to take your pop bottle cap off aswell? lol
:lol:

Nova1.6
22-07-02, 01:40 PM
i have trouble with my socks aswell!

vastre
23-07-02, 10:14 AM
mine came off real easy, just remove the whole gearstick (undid the bolts holding the gearstick in place) then put the knob in boiling water for a couple of mins and pulled it straight off, it even went back on with a bit of superglue to make sure it didnt move :o

Alex
23-07-02, 11:41 AM
brave man putting your knob in boiling water...

Stuart
23-07-02, 04:37 PM
so we tugged eachother and then eventualy it pop and came, we felt so good after that we had to have a little rest!

erm bit close you and your mate arent you??

Nova1.6
23-07-02, 11:30 PM
lol yeah! hehe :lol:

vauxnova
24-07-02, 12:32 PM
My first post in a long time (used to be assassin)

Take a lighter and heat up the bar, grip the knob with mole grips and twist and pull.

Less than 2 mins

Breeny
24-07-02, 01:36 PM
ive pulled many a knob ooo er just pull and twist at the same time. :)

Mr Dan
14-08-02, 11:02 PM
Replaced mine the other day. My advice is if you want a shortened gear stick just get your saw out and cut across under the complete knob, then just pop your new one on the shorter stick.

However if you don't want to shorten it that much then don't bother trying to cut the knob in half and peel it off or anything as that just got messy for me. Get a lighter and heat up the stick under the knob, then get some sort of pliers if you can to get a better grip and simply twist off. Takes a bit of time and effort but it should work and will be well worth it.

8)

bigbore
17-08-02, 04:28 PM
just give it a quich squirt of WD 40 using the straw provided and it will just slide of
dont forget to wipe of the rest when done or the new one will become slack 2