PDA

View Full Version : Crimp or solder?

Iain
30-01-08, 03:12 PM
Just wondering what you guys do when it comes to wiring; crimp or solder? And why (if there's a reason)? :) I keep hearing people for and against each method.

Jack
30-01-08, 03:21 PM
Both, depending on where the wiring is (solding upside down in a footwell is not fun, especially when hot solder falls on your face), and how permanent it is.

I tend to crimp larger gauge wires too, as my soldering is poo at the best of times lol

Welsh Dan
30-01-08, 03:22 PM
I used to solder everything, but its such a ballache with a 20w soldering iron in the dark outside on a january evening lol, so now I crimp everything. A good pair of terminal pliers is key.

t45_ste
30-01-08, 03:30 PM
Bit of both. Solder not always the best idea as it can become brittle.

Stuart
30-01-08, 03:34 PM
solder for joining/splicing, but for terminals they get crimped... and maybe a tiny TINY dab of solder but barely enough to tin the lot.

Adam
30-01-08, 04:47 PM
Apparently soldering is ****e for car/engine looms.
Cant withstand vibration, and is brittle etc.

I always solder tho, i just dont trust crimps. They always seem to be a weak point.

Paul
30-01-08, 05:41 PM
depedns where abouts the wire is

HKS say not no solder any of there products, such as boost controllers etc...

As the heat can melt the circuitry. Probably just to cover there ****. I like the method of soldering a spade connector onto each wire if its likely to ever become unplugged etc.

Stoo
30-01-08, 05:43 PM
twist em together and use some bodge tape

baxter stylee

edens-xe
30-01-08, 06:20 PM
crimp them as solder is not always the best and can increase resistance in wires therefore increasing heat leading to a possible melt down or fire!

stevenf
30-01-08, 06:26 PM
i do a bit of both also depending on where the wires are located

Stuart
30-01-08, 06:41 PM
hmm yes because a few mA of current will get to 250Deg C and melt the solder :wall:

Novasport
30-01-08, 11:03 PM
I use a mixture of soldering and non insulated crimp terminals(Like OE factory terminals). I find careful use of a mini flame torch lighter is best for soldering as the heat penetrates faster and application of solder is quicker preventing damage to the insulation etc.

This is my first aid kit, not a red, yellow or blue crappy crimp terminal in sight!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/NovaSport/CIMG0476.jpg

paddy138
30-01-08, 11:09 PM
i crimp bigger things like terminals and that but would still use a bit of solder on them, ordered a gas soldering iron from snap on the other day one of the boys i work has one and is extremely handy

joff-turbo-nova
31-01-08, 07:35 AM
I solder most things and the use heat shrink tubing with an adhesive inner lining.

This then protects the joint from flexing and snapping and also seals the joint from the atmosphere/moisture which stops the joints going "dry" & brittle.

Invest in a good soldering iron and a small gas torch.

Cheers

Joff

mikey14sr
31-01-08, 10:13 AM
Simple wire joins I solder, a lot easier since upgrading from a 15w to a 30w iron (also got an 80w for larger wires). Terminals I normally just crimp, but I do prefer the soldered type where things need to look O.E.

peester
31-01-08, 09:38 PM
bit o' both.. manufacturers crimp; cant be much wrong with that..

fearless
31-01-08, 09:49 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313HYKQZNDL._AA280_.jpg

Why wasn't this an option

:thumb::thumb: :thumb:

Dave.
31-01-08, 10:49 PM
i soldered my digi dash in, souly because i didnt want any of the wires to touch, but when fitting my alarm and immobiliser we just cut some of the plastic off, twisted them together and used some bright yellow insulation tape lol

Dave.
31-01-08, 10:50 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/313HYKQZNDL._AA280_.jpg

Why wasn't this an option

:thumb::thumb: :thumb:

they are 110% s*it, i used about 5 of them on 1 connection, i gave up in the end and crimped lol

Dar
31-01-08, 11:18 PM
Lionel, don't worry about it you and electricity were never meant to work together! So walk away and get your missus to do it for you :thumb:

The loom maker I know says crimp terminals on for the reasons already stated earlier, solder can be brittle and break. But to be perfectly honest I have never had a solder joint break on me.

Iain
31-01-08, 11:56 PM
Lionel, don't worry about it you and electricity were never meant to work together! So walk away and get your missus to do it for you :thumb:

Shurrup lol

Dar
01-02-08, 08:24 AM
lolPost up the picture of your thumb after you installed a switch:p

Jonlem
01-02-08, 09:07 PM
I always solder and heatshrink my looms for the LPG conversions, I've never had a dry joint and yet to see one go brittle and break but it can happen.

Heatshrink over all joints obviously.

We do get supplied proper joiners but I've never got on with them too well so I just stick to soldering, having a clean tip on the iron is the key.

I your making a loom from scratch with no joins then use the correct pin connectors and it will be perfect, all our looms come ready made but I shorten them to keep them looking tidy :)