PDA

View Full Version : vibration through steering when braking...

ade
20-07-02, 06:03 PM
Ok, I thought this was initially caused by my well worn brakes (and it still maybe) but whilst changing my brakes today (aye right see other post) I noticed a fair bit of play in the whole wheel assembly (after the wheel was off). The noise it made sounded like the noise that I hear when I brake. (which is like a steady dududududududu under breaking)
The car steers fine and this noise is not evident at any other time.

I think the noise is coming from a tie rod ball joint - I'm not sure if thats the name of it but its the joint that connects the steering column (drivers side) to the steering knuckle (that big bit that your lower suspension strut connects onto).
I took a picture but dont know how to paste it below this message (any help??).

When I rock it back and forth I can see the knuckle play a little - the pasenger side doesnt do this.

Can you get new rubber housings or do I need a new tie rod ball joint? How can you tell if its gone and do I need to worry once my brakes are sorted?
In Haynes it doesnt really point to this as a problem for the steering judder when you break - its the noise I'm worried about though (worried that the distorted discs have weakened the ball joint causing the noise)

As usual any help appreciated...
Ade
:? [/img]

ade
21-07-02, 05:23 PM
come on guys - anyone able to help?

:(

ade
22-07-02, 08:32 AM
dont think it matters now - fitted new brakes, went for a test drive and the wobble was not there (just a little wobble due to new 15's fitted that need balancing. :)

Figure its all sorted - but I'd still like toknow if that joint is supposed to have any play in it... :?

ade

carltoncrazy
22-07-02, 03:42 PM
im pretty sure were on about the same joint,.
basical i got lass saloon MOT yesterday after welding the sills
and it had a fair bit of play but it passed.
so i didnt bother

mowgli
23-07-02, 12:37 AM
you can get new track rod ends for only a few quid. there shouldn't be any visible play on them. if there is, your tracking, and thus your handling will suffer. big wheels will also wear them out quicker.

Mowgli