PDA

View Full Version : Xe Fuel pump location

pscars
28-01-08, 12:21 PM
Ive looked at many Xe Nova builds now and i see fuel pumps mounted in varoius places. I think the pump on my donor Xe powered car is the standard Vaux pump, can i mount it under bonnet or maybe in car or do i need a differant pump ??

craig green
28-01-08, 12:31 PM
If you are on injection using an MPi tank, IMO it needs to be below the boot floor. The pump relies on a gravity feed for the fuel to arrive at the pump where it does more of a 'push' job to get it upto the fuel rail.

Help us with what setup you have; Carbs? SFi? What tank? What pump?

pscars
28-01-08, 01:10 PM
The car has SFI, from what i can see it is using the original Sr tank with the fuel pump mounted just behind the rear floor pan in front of the tank. Id ideally like to mount the pump in tyhe car.

craig green
28-01-08, 01:56 PM
In that case the tank you have is not suitable. I would suggest a tank from an SPI (1.2 & 1.4i Nova) and replace the intank pump with one from a Cavalier or Calibra suitable for intank use.

Search this site for more info/guide. IIRC the pump cradle or seat needs modding to accept the bigger, higher flow pump.

Dar
28-01-08, 01:56 PM
The cars that you've seen with the fuel pumps in the engine bay also have a fuel pump down by the tank.

craig green
28-01-08, 02:10 PM
I was going to mention swirl pots & lift pumps but it seemed daft with std SFi induction.

just vaux trev
28-01-08, 02:35 PM
In that case the tank you have is not suitable. I would suggest a tank from an SPI (1.2 & 1.4i Nova) and replace the intank pump with one from a Cavalier or Calibra suitable for intank use.

Search this site for more info/guide. IIRC the pump cradle or seat needs modding to accept the bigger, higher flow pump.

is the mk3 astra gsi suitable??

pscars
28-01-08, 03:00 PM
So what if i was to remove the fuel tank completly and fit a boot mounted tank, what pump would i use then ?

mayhem
28-01-08, 03:20 PM
is the mk3 astra gsi suitable??
mk3 16v fuel pump fits in a c14nz tank, that i know for sure, cause i juse it tolol

Paul
28-01-08, 05:01 PM
As said an external pump relies on gravity to get the fuel to it initially, so it must be lower than the fuel outlet from the tank.