PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure & leaks

Dexter
28-01-08, 02:00 AM
After fitting some dellortos to my 1300cc nova ive been having problems with oil getting sprayed over the engine bay. Now im pretty sure that at high revs it is being forced out of the oil filler cap but it only does it under load hence why i cant be certain.

Ive fitted a crankcase breather system leading to a catch tank and also a filter but its not really had any effect.

They are yet to be professionally tuned but i cant see this having much to do with it. And for some reason after its been running its an absolute ****er to start from warm. I think this could be do do with the ignition timing.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated as its really starting to annoy me now!

Thanks
Dex

meritlover
28-01-08, 10:41 AM
the oil cap should not ever be pressurisationed if the breather system is working properly. unless you have a problem with rings sealing. you should check you breathering pipework again.
the facts that it only does it under load sounds like it may be caused by blow-by.
hot starting can be a lot of things...tuning or heat conduction causing vapour lock etc....

mikey14sr
28-01-08, 07:43 PM
They are yet to be professionally tuned

That'll be the most likely cause of the hot-start problem.

The original crankcase breather box has a built in oil seperator, I've never seen an engine need more than a hose going from this to a catch tank.

Top suspects for oil being flung out for me are rocker gasket, mechanical fuel pump gasket, Distributor O ring. best way to find where it's coming from is to give the engine bay a good clean, then start the engine and tickle the throttle a bit at the carbs (not sat in the car), this way you're looking over the engine and it'll be easier to find where it's coming from.

Dexter
28-01-08, 11:45 PM
totally understand where your coming from mate but it will only do it under load ive already tried playing on the throttle linkage sat in the drive. Rocker gasket was replaced yesterday and ive cleaned the bastart bay coutless times!

Welsh Dan
29-01-08, 07:54 AM
Clean+degrease the engine, stick masking tape on all of the suspected areas, drive.

:)