PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new brakes (standard)

ade
19-07-02, 05:09 PM
Just bought some new pads and discs for me 1.2 mk2 and just wondered if there is anything I need to watch out for?

Have a copy of haynes and mole grips - any you guys got any other hints/tips before I start (Saturday)

:?:

neiloakley
19-07-02, 06:08 PM
just a quick question for you ade, you have around 750 posts on novaload and your asking us about brakes? What are all your posts about? Women? lol

seriously though, you will find it helpful if you have a brake pin punch to remove the pins that hold the pads in place. But i'm sure something can be bodged. Apart from that, it's easy peasy. Bits and bobs are in post mate but might be a bit dodgy this end cos postman only just come back from a strike! Let me know if you aint got em in a few days.

ade
19-07-02, 07:26 PM
lol @ me posts - I wish they were all posts about women however I'm a sad nova addict and only a handful are women related :cry:

Just checked me brakes on me car and discovered despite having a mk2 car I still have the old style brake pads and calipers - shop sold me the new style ones by mistake (I never checked till I got em home!!!)

Oh well - change em tomorrow.

As for parcel no rush m8, I'm at me mums for the next 5 weeks rebuilding me car anyway - bloody warm in England - like a freezer in Glasgow. :?

Cheers

Ade
:D

Dicko
19-07-02, 10:18 PM
i think only the sri/gsi had the newer style ATE callipers, even sr's had the shit brakes.

neiloakley
20-07-02, 12:00 AM
lol @ me - I'm a sad nova addict and a women :cry:[/quote]

dave.gsi
20-07-02, 12:08 AM
any other hints/tips before I start (Saturday)

u don't actually have to remove the calipers, when u undo the big nut on the back (allen head methinks) u can just wiggle the disc out and the new one in by twisting the caliper slightly up or down to give enough room. saves time, i did it 8 times in one day (swapping discs from old car to new and vice versa). i managed to get it down to about ten minutes each side and i'm a bit of a retard with oily bits :lol:

oh yeah, geting the pins out...........piece of piss when u got the right sized screwdriver..........bitch when u haven't :lol:

neiloakley
20-07-02, 12:14 AM
dont use a crosshead screwdriver cos instead of driving the pin out, the screwdriver just wedges itself inside the pin and then your fucked. If you want to unde the big hex bolts at the back then it is an 8mm allen key. If you have a mate down kwik fit, just go see him. They can do a side in five minutes. If you take your own bits down and they aint busy they will do it for the price of a drink. Now that i have said that, you KNOW someone will call me a **** cos i have suggested something that actually requires spending money. When will people realise that this site is to spread ADVICE and NOT to tell people how to get thru life without spending any money. If that were the case, novaload would not exist. It would be called cycleload but then nobody would pay the phone people so no one would have internet etc etc.

dave.gsi
20-07-02, 12:20 AM
wtf??????? :o

neiloakley
20-07-02, 12:25 AM
i'm fed up of people slating each other when someone suggest a solution that might involve opening the wallet. Some pricks on here think that everyone has infinite time and knowledge but sometimes if they dont have the time, they might want to spend a bit of money instead. At the end of the day, it is the car owners choice wether they want to spend time or money so everyone just chill and respect your fellow nova owners.

Help, not hinder!

ade
20-07-02, 04:03 PM
OK - removed old discs and pads (pins come out no bother) - but new disc didnt go on initially (put it down to the fact that it is a wee bit fatter than the old one due to the old one being worn down/scratched!

Had to losen the 2 bolts at the back of the caliper (19mm) to get disc in - fitted then tried to get the pads in...

After squeezing the piston back into its home as far as it would go and sliding the calliper as far forward as I could I got the back one it - the front one would only go in if I "lightly" (yeah right!) hammered it into place - problem is now though that the disc wont rotate/clamped tighter than a nuns thighs!

Can I just check that this is normal or should there still be 1mm or so for the disc to rotate freely.

Both pads and discs are brand new - for 1.2 mk2.

They guy ijn the shop said there was a choice of discs and that based onthe chassis no the ones he gave me were correct - any thoughts much apprecioated.

I'm going to do the other side and test it - just to see if I can get the road wheels to turn once wheels back on...

Ade

ade
20-07-02, 04:32 PM
(see last post) - while car was jacked up, tried to get wheels to turn by going into 1st gear - buggers didnt move an inch!

measured my new discs and theyre 12.5mm thick - measured old ones and they were worn down to just under 10mm. The new ones have a minimum wear of 9.7mm.

If my discs are ok, what are the pads supposed to be new?

I had to slacken off the caliper nuts at the back of the drivers side to get the pads in - then retightened them.
:o

ade
20-07-02, 05:08 PM
SORTED!

turns out the factors I got the discs from gave me the wrong ones (along with the pads - even after checking them against the chassis number!)

The other set of discs are only 10mm which is the ones I need :x

Oh well, they have said they will change them so hopefully I'll be able to sort them all tomorrow (they're closed now so cant change till then!)

got 2 get the other ones off now... :(

all fun and games

ade

Dicko
20-07-02, 05:27 PM
all that hassle and u could of bought my gsi callipers+discs+pads for ?30. silly boy

ade
20-07-02, 05:43 PM
now u tell me! :o

no matter - not looking to upgrade my discs just yet - just found out my rather shite insurance company wont insure me any more just because I've change my base 1.2 to look like a gsi (gave them the spec opf the new car - all body work no engine mods and they said - sorry - even though youre 32, have 4 years no claims we wont touch you!)

Arses

neiloakley
21-07-02, 05:24 PM
even though youre 32, have 4 years no claims we wont touch you!

Why would you want your insurance company to touch you? If thats what you wanted, go to kings cross. it costs about one tenth of what you'll pay your insurance company! lol

ade
21-07-02, 05:27 PM
lol!

Maybe I have the lurgy. Prefer Glasgow central station for frolicking about!

:D