PDA

View Full Version : Timing Issue - Timing mark alignment

JonL
26-01-08, 08:06 PM
I've just taken the head off my C16 XE lump to change the head gasket.

When i took it up, i lined up the timing marks on the camshaft sprokets.

Now I've gone to put them back on, they don't line up, more specifically the inlet one doesn't line up centrally.

If i turn the camshaft it moved the springs/valves and just springs back to the resting position shown. Should it be doing this? Could it be affected by the fact its got un uprated cam?

Should I just try and align it to the centre when I put the cambelt back on?

Any advice greatley appreaciated as I'd like to put it back together by the end of the weekennd :-)

Here's the pic:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jonsclio16v/small_PICT0752.JPG

Thanks!

Stoo
26-01-08, 08:31 PM
have you read the haynes manual??
ill bet you didnt use a locking tool

staggy_gsi
26-01-08, 08:52 PM
yeah this is normal dont worry. you should use a locking tool which holds both cams in the correct place. should be able to get one from a decent motor factors...

Lee
26-01-08, 08:54 PM
Why have you marked the pulleys there? Have you just marked where each pully is in relation to the other? If so, thats never going to work! Also, you probably weren't at TDC when you marked it all up, thats why the cams are pushing back when you try to re-align it.

Put the engine back to TDC using the original timing marks, but do this CAREFULLY, as you are probably miles away from it.

Adam
26-01-08, 08:55 PM
Yep thats normal, its because the strength of the valve springs are pressing against the cam, due to the lobes trying to hold the valves slightly open....

I had the same problem.
Easy way is with a locking tool.

I managed to do it by holding the cam with a spanner on the flats, whilst fitting the belt.

Adam
26-01-08, 08:57 PM
Why have you marked the pulleys there? Have you just marked where each pully is in relation to the other? If so, thats never going to work! Also, you probably weren't at TDC when you marked it all up, thats why the cams are pushing back when you try to re-align it.

Put the engine back to TDC using the original timing marks, but do this CAREFULLY, as you are probably miles away from it.
The exhaust cam is timed perfectly in that pic, the inlet is two teeth past tdc, you can see the white marks ;)
The marks point towards each other at tdc on small block xe's :)

Lee
26-01-08, 08:57 PM
The exhaust cam is timed perfectly in that pic, the inlet is two teeth past tdc, you can see the white marks ;)
The marks point towards each other at tdc on small block xe's :)

PMSL. Say no more, i hate them even more now lol

Adam
26-01-08, 08:59 PM
lol lol

mikey14sr
26-01-08, 10:10 PM
Should be ok just turning it back, make sure you put the locking tool in! (or if you've got a spare pair of hands, do it Adam's way)

JonL
27-01-08, 10:04 AM
Thanks guys, thats great! I'll give it a go with the spanner on the cam, if not, it's locking tool time :-)

Just for interest I did read the haynes manual and align it TDC before I took it apart. Didn't say anything about a locking tool though :(

Adam
27-01-08, 11:32 AM
Its easier to do with just a spanner on the cam if you have a spare set of hands.
Just slip the belt on whilst someone holds the cam.