PDA

View Full Version : Problems fitting new steering rack

Iain
26-01-08, 04:12 PM
I have the new rack located in the engine bay and I am trying to join the rubber coupling between the steering column and the rack's pinion. Once I put a bolt through the upper rubber coupling hole, the rack's pinion does not come through in to the cabin far enough so I cannot put a bolt through the rack end of the rubber coupling.

Like this:
Rack's pinion
-----\_____________/-----
Shaft's end
----\_/----

X where the bolt holes are:
-----\_____________/--X--
Shaft's end
----\X/----

Iain
26-01-08, 04:29 PM
Here's a slightly less crap explanation

Rack that's not coming through far enough:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/Rack1.JPG

A rack that's right:
http://www.iainel.co.uk/images/forums/Rack2.JPG

Adam
26-01-08, 04:48 PM
Hmm, does the rack not have like a cutout for the bolt thread to sit in?
I.e. you put the rack into the coupler until a cutout lines up, and then you put the bolt through?
or is it just a normal clamp type effort?

Iain
26-01-08, 05:06 PM
Yeah there's a long cutout, it's exactly the same as original. You can just make out the end of the cutout in the first pic but it doesn't want to come through enough to be able to be bolted. Just ripped it out again and it's the same as original so must be some bollocks making it sit funny.

Adam
26-01-08, 05:18 PM
Hmm. must be something stopping it coming through from the engine bay side?

Or its getting stuck in the column end and wont slide in enough.

Lee
26-01-08, 06:24 PM
iirc the column has some play in it when its disconnected from the rack. Are you sure your not being ghey, and it just needs a wee **** to get it to home into place? lol

garyc
26-01-08, 06:42 PM
Is your rack bolted in, it may need loosening. Als be careful whacking it all as you may smash the plastic bearing the column runs in.

R1CH
26-01-08, 06:50 PM
The centre shaft could've moved up the column a bit, if you push on the steering wheel does it move in ?? The spring behind the steering wheel could be pushing it out.

Edit - just looked at your pics, so the above doesn't seem to be an issue.

Iain
26-01-08, 07:51 PM
It's definitely the fact the rack pinion isn't coming through enough as the steering wheel boss sits flush with the plastic cowling.

It may be the poly bushes I'm trying to fit are pushing the rack out too far, although they look a similar thickness to the rubber ones.

I've been trying to do it with the rack completely unbolted (as per Haynes instructions?) but not getting anywhere. The rack may have been bolted down tight in that picture which surely shows the maximum the rack will push through.

BLAH. :mad:

mikey14sr
26-01-08, 10:14 PM
Tried pushing the top half of the joint down? I know I had to give mine a few good taps with the hammer to get it back in the right posistion when I replaced the rack.

Philsutton
27-01-08, 12:39 PM
looks like / sounds like a corsa rack lol, unlucky

Iain
27-01-08, 01:07 PM
looks like / sounds like a corsa rack lol, unlucky

In your faaaaaaaaace it's on. :p I think it probably was the column being dodgy (doh) so I removed the column, connected the flexi joint and bolted the column back on.

Thanks for the help guys, this has been such a crap job. lol