PDA

View Full Version : turbo rebuild where?

tony k
23-01-08, 07:32 PM
i have been looking for places to get my turbo rebuilt been hearing mixed opinions on certain places ie: universal turbos and turbo technics i have been hunting round for a t3 but aint having no luck so i thought i would get mine done instead anyone got any ideas on prices and specs

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:12 AM
what is the matter with it? it is very simple to do at the home. i rebuild my t2/T25s and IHI RHB5 17VQs from kits off the internet. if you are reusing the impellor and turbine you can mark it so it will be in ballance when it goes back together. but if you are replacing these parts you should get the CHRA re balanced.
if it is just a smokey turbo the exhause seal and can be replaced very easily!! and is worth doniug the bearings at the same time as these are part of the kit. it is simple with small torque wrench and set of torx allen keys and a set of large circlip pliers to remover the compressor housing.

thank you

craig green
24-01-08, 09:17 AM
Turbo Technics are fine. I think its the 'other' that have a bad rep.

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:28 AM
i had a turbo technics make a hybrid from IHI RHB5 using comp wheel from a isuzu trooper TD. when i got it back the compressor housing looked like it had been carved by a blind man with a blunt knife. the finnish was terrible. but it worked ok. it is up to you. i guess they are all have a reputation based on random stories like mine so you are best to just try them. if it has a warranty then what are you worried about?

R1CH
24-01-08, 06:43 PM
You could do a DIY job at home then get the chra balanced by someone like Turbo Technics / Universal Turbo's ect ... but it'll be a far better job getting it done properly.
You'd be looking about ?250 (?) for a rebuild from a company, but you'll get it back like new, everything will be spotlessly cleaned, all parts will be tolerance checked / crack tested, both wheels will be individually balanced prior to being built into CHRA, new fasteners will be used ect ... plus you'll get a warrety with it.

meritlover
24-01-08, 07:31 PM
iam in agreeing with Mr Rich. self rebuilds are fine if you are confident and you can deal with shearing bolts etc... but a proper job is a proper job ;)