PDA

View Full Version : A bit off advice needed!

novanum1
23-01-08, 01:58 PM
I have a nova SRi and im looking about 1.6 it. What the easyest to do wiring wise.

Was thinking about geting a E16SE and using my Sri inlet but dont know if that would work or not?

or geting a C16SE engine and chaging it from dispack to dizzy cap if thats poss if not try and rewire it.

Or go right in and do a C16xe.

Any ideas or advice please gives Thanks everyone

Stuart
23-01-08, 02:04 PM
how much do you want/have to spend and what is the ultimate goal?

novanum1
23-01-08, 02:21 PM
about ?500 can be more if needed. i would go C20xe but cant insure. anit realy goal just more power. But the car does get used everyday.

Stoo
23-01-08, 02:27 PM
if oyu cant afford to do an engine conversion to C20XE, then you cant afford to convert to a 1600, as the insurance will still be high

novanum1
23-01-08, 02:34 PM
i did a quote for a 1.6 nova and i could afford it. didnt try a C20XE tho. but rather go with a 1.6 power.

Iain
23-01-08, 02:41 PM
if oyu cant afford to do an engine conversion to C20XE, then you cant afford to convert to a 1600, as the insurance will still be high

Don't be stupid - of course a 1.6 will be cheaper to insure than a 2.0.

Source a E16SE or C16SE, they're really easy to fit and don't let wiring put you off. You can use the 1.6's loom and connect it in to your existing wiring, it's only about 7 wires! Should cost plenty less than ?500 too. :)

Stoo
23-01-08, 02:43 PM
its still an engine conversion, which demands a higher premium sweetheart!

Jack
23-01-08, 02:46 PM
Incidentally, when I was looking at engine options for the saloon, HIC quoted me the same price for both a 1.6 and 2.0...!

Remember a converted Nova 1.4 with a 1.6 engine will be more to insure than a Nova with a 1.6 from the factory.

My choice would be the 1.6 on that budget though.

novanum1
23-01-08, 02:46 PM
O right sounds good to me. I can use my sri shafts aswell cant i? Whats the main diffrents between a E16SE and C16SE.

And also are the 7 wires colour to colour.

meritlover
23-01-08, 04:15 PM
EEC emmishion requirements

Stuart
23-01-08, 07:07 PM
Imho with ?500 I wouldnt bother swapping to a 1.6, the 1.4 sri is a really good little engine.

I'd decat it on the cheap with a 1.6 gte down pipe. Maybe slip in a Kent injection spec cam something in the 285 degress realm and then stick megasquirt management on there. Will be a storming little engine then

novanum1
24-01-08, 09:11 AM
megasquirt sounds fun. Anyone got any info on this

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:15 AM
do a search on the interweb. megasquirt has a big following almost religious. if you cannot work it out from that then a megasquirt is not for you.
perhaps you could ask uk ebay seller how sells kits and builds them to spec of your engine to get you start?

Stuart
24-01-08, 09:39 AM
yeah, if you arent handy with a soldering iron then contact someone who sells the kits.

a user called Garage19 on vauxsport is a MS guru.

I've not played about with MS enough to start making kits up for people.

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:45 AM
it is really simple. i think even you could manage it Mr Stuart. the older board that i have is the 2.2 with the ms1 MSNSE code but the board has to be maked up using to map the type/voltage of input triggers and type of ign like EDIS or other... it takes a bit of getting used to. but i think the newer V3 ecus take whatever you thro at them and have coil triggers built internally which is in the making of a very simple project for you!!!
because the software is open source and homegrown you can tweak it yourself if you have the no lege and the power. but there is very little need to.
have a look at the website. please.

Stuart
24-01-08, 09:52 AM
lol ive built an MS or two, and can weild an iron as a pro. But I'm not cocky enough to make them for others ;) Plus some of the circuit basics are flawed and need changing to make the ecu robust.

I've also got plans for some software (I write ECU software for OEM as it is ;) )

I'd sooner run an old dizzy than use EDIS but thats my personal feelings to EDIS as I think its crap.

meritlover
24-01-08, 09:54 AM
i do not have feelings for EDIS i think it is over complicated. but it is a clever system.
an ecu in distributor mode is fine for 90% of applications.
what plans have you for the MS software? i am intreguing.